From: s_dubrovich on
On May 13, 10:58 pm, s_dubrov...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> On May 9, 9:03 pm, Mike Gonta <mikego...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 9, 6:31 pm, s_dubrov...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > > I've written alittle ditty to check Big Memory Services Int 15h,
> > > AH=E801,E881, and E820.  E801 subroutine works, but E820 doesn't (yet
> > > the machine supports it). So my question is if pdBIOS32 has support
> > > for it (I'm unsure, it seems to me that all the Int xxh are reflected
> > > back to rm, and so it should work.)
>
> > Hi Steve,
> > Thanks for the report.
> > I fixed a typo in api.asm and now E820 works.
> > pdBIOS32 doesn't support E881.
>
> > >  Anyway, here it is for trial..
>
> > Good job Steve, I've included the binary and source in the latest
> > release (pdBIOS32 20100509.img)
>
> > Mike Gonta
> > look and see - many look but few see
>
> >http://mikegonta.com/pdBIOS32
>
> I've started a page for pdBIOS32 on codewiki -http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/
>
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

I've put up code (ddir.nsm) for a simple dump-directory-names to view
the file list on a booted pdBIOS32 diskette.

http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/pdBIOS32

Steve
From: James Harris on
On 15 May, 21:26, s_dubrov...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> On May 13, 10:58 pm, s_dubrov...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>

> > On May 9, 9:03 pm, Mike Gonta <mikego...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > >http://mikegonta.com/pdBIOS32
>
> > I've started a page for pdBIOS32 on codewiki - http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/

> I've put up code (ddir.nsm) for a simple dump-directory-names to view
> the file list on a booted pdBIOS32 diskette.
>
> http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/pdBIOS32

That's very neat, and it works! I downloaded and built ddir.nsm
according to the instructions in the comments, copied it to the
pdBIOS32 floppy and it runs fine on the test machine.

It's good to see code written by one of us on aod work with code
written by someone else on aod. I know it "should" work but code which
should and code which does work are not always the same set. I'm sure
it's happened before on this newsgroup but it has to be a rare event.
Something to celebrate, perhaps!

James
From: s_dubrovich on
On May 18, 8:15 am, James Harris <james.harri...(a)googlemail.com>
wrote:
> On 15 May, 21:26, s_dubrov...(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> > > I've started a page for pdBIOS32 on codewiki -http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/
> > I've put up code (ddir.nsm) for a simple dump-directory-names to view
> > the file list on a booted pdBIOS32 diskette.
>
> >http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/pdBIOS32
>
> That's very neat, and it works! I downloaded and built ddir.nsm
> according to the instructions in the comments, copied it to the
> pdBIOS32 floppy and it runs fine on the test machine.

Great to have verification, it's fun to do. The code is still a
kludge. I took the shortcut of _assuming_ the directory location on
the diskette is static. Mike points out the correct algorithm is:

directory LBA = reserved_sector_count + (sectors_per_FAT *
number_of_FATs)

but to implement and test was more time involved than I wanted to
spend at that moment, so consider it as 'demonstration' code - 'quick
and dirty'.

The real kudo's go to Mike, he's put a heck of alot of effort into
pdBIOS32, and shared those efforts.

The 32 bit PM Bios offers a scratch pad basis for trying out your
32bit stuff in a flat memory model. -or a mere diversion to port your
ancient dos code as an exercise, on a day you want a break from your
latest project.

> It's good to see code written by one of us on aod work with code
> written by someone else on aod. I know it "should" work but code which
> should and code which does work are not always the same set. I'm sure
> it's happened before on this newsgroup but it has to be a rare event.
> Something to celebrate, perhaps!

I suppose. If anyone else cares to jump in and do some more fat12
file utilities; rename, erase, create, we would be on the way to an
AOD 32-bit mini dOS.

Steve