From: nass on

"Hans L" wrote:

> "nass" wrote:
>

> > Hi Hans L,
> > Do you have this USB dinkey dongle
>
> Yes, I have a dinkey dongle USB security key, but I have had that for ages,
> and I cannot be without it, and it works as before as far as I can judge.
> And I have the latest drivers for it.
>

> > Or ActivSTUDIO
> > Or Promethean
> > Installed on your system?.
> > Please search your hard drive for this file by opening a search engine
> > (local search) on your computer and type in:
> > ddnt.sys click [Search..]
> > When you find it right click on it and see the info on the properties option.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ddnt.sys
>
> Type of file: System file
> Opens with: Unknown application
> Size: 8,544 bytes
>
> Nothing else of value.
>

> > Also, try to upload it to virustotal here to scan it:
> > http://www.virutotal.com
>
> No virus!
>
> > If you have one of the above either contact the H&S for that product or
> > update to latest software.
> > I can say take it out from the startup list but we need to know what it is
> > first?.
>
> Have we made an progress?
>
> Hans L

Hi Hans,
Lots of people contribute this file/folder to the Dinkey Dongle USB and some
anti-virus software/scanner detect it as Rootkit Trojan.
Please make sure the machine clean from malware and virus by scanning from
more than one vendor (AVs).
Sorry for the wrong URL it should be:
http://www.virustotal.com

Or you can rename it to ddnt.sys.OLD and Reboot your machine, does the
Dinkey turn to be pinky?.

You can take it out of the start list from here:
Open a run command and type in:
regedit click [OK]
[-]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run == look
in the right pane/window for it and remove.
Exit the registry and Reboot your machine, does error goes away?.
HTH.
nass
----
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

From: Hans L on
Hello, and sorry for the late response.

I searched on the Web on some of the few regular-text expressions that I
gleaned from the ddnt.sys file (looking at it with UltraEdit) , and based on
something I saw (can't remember what), I reinstalled an app that I had
earlier installed and uninstalled, and then, I restarted the computer. No
ddnt.sys error!!!

The app was Microsoft Debugger for Windows 6.3.17.0.

Just to be sure, I uninstalled it, deleted ddnt.sys, and then installed it
again to see if ddnt.sys was reinstalled.

But no, Microsoft Debugger for Windows 6.3.17.0 did not reinstall ddnt.sys,
but the program must have had something to do with the file.

I have now simply added .old to ddnt.sys, and not noticed any negative
effects yet. And no more error messages at startup.

Thank you for your input. I hope the problem has been solved.

Regards,

Hans L
From: nass on

"Hans L" wrote:

> Hello, and sorry for the late response.
>
> I searched on the Web on some of the few regular-text expressions that I
> gleaned from the ddnt.sys file (looking at it with UltraEdit) , and based on
> something I saw (can't remember what), I reinstalled an app that I had
> earlier installed and uninstalled, and then, I restarted the computer. No
> ddnt.sys error!!!
>
> The app was Microsoft Debugger for Windows 6.3.17.0.
>
> Just to be sure, I uninstalled it, deleted ddnt.sys, and then installed it
> again to see if ddnt.sys was reinstalled.
>
> But no, Microsoft Debugger for Windows 6.3.17.0 did not reinstall ddnt.sys,
> but the program must have had something to do with the file.
>
> I have now simply added .old to ddnt.sys, and not noticed any negative
> effects yet. And no more error messages at startup.
>
> Thank you for your input. I hope the problem has been solved.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans L

Hi Hans,
Thanks for your Valuable Feedback, much appreciated and good luck.
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

From: Hans L on
Thank you, nass.

Hans L
From: Hans L on
Nass, you were right on. It was a dongle file.

I discovered that ddnt.sys installed itself when I reinstalled a translation
memory program that I use in my translation work. I asked the developer, and
here is the answer I got:

"The file ddnt.sys is related with the parallel dongle, so, if you have a
parallel one you won't need this file and you can remove it."

So, it was a dongle file. I will not even delete the file, because it will
probably come back when I update/upgrade. Nothing bad will happen if I leave
it be.

Regards,

Hans L