From: fisico32 on
Hello Forum,

if a continuous-time sinusoid x(t)=cos(2pi*f1*t+theta) is sampled at an
arbitrary rate f_s, we will obtain a sequence x[n].

This sequence will be the same sequence we would obtain from sampling, at
the same rate f_s, an infinite number of other sinusoids of continuous
frequency different from f1.
The spectrum would be a series of delta at locations f =f1 +- k*f_s.

This would happens even if f_s>>2*f1: the ambiguity on which continuous
frequency sinusoid this sequence x[n] belongs to will remain...

Does that mean that we need to make some assumptions, that we need to know
something beforehand, to be able to associate x[n] to cos(2pi*f1*t+theta)?
What are these assumptions?

Aliasing occurs if our interpolating algorithm assumes that f_max=f_s/2,
correct? If f1=5 Hz f_s/2=8 Hz, an ideal passband filter (-f_s/2 to f_s/2)
in the freq. domain will pass f1=5 but also the frequency f=3 Hz, correct?

thanks
fisico32
From: Rune Allnor on
On 18 Jun, 22:10, "fisico32" <marcoscipioni1(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello Forum,
>
> if a continuous-time sinusoid x(t)=cos(2pi*f1*t+theta) is sampled at an
> arbitrary rate f_s, we will obtain a sequence x[n].
>
> This sequence will be the same sequence we would obtain from sampling, at
> the same rate f_s, an infinite number of other sinusoids of continuous
> frequency different from f1.
> The spectrum would be a series of delta at locations f =f1 +- k*f_s.
>
> This would happens even if f_s>>2*f1: the ambiguity on which continuous
> frequency sinusoid this sequence x[n] belongs to will remain...
>
> Does that mean that we need to make some assumptions,

No.

> that we need to know
> something beforehand, to be able to associate x[n] to cos(2pi*f1*t+theta)?

Yes.

> What are these assumptions?

There aren't any.

Rune
From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/18/2010 01:10 PM, fisico32 wrote:
> Hello Forum,
>
> if a continuous-time sinusoid x(t)=cos(2pi*f1*t+theta) is sampled at an
> arbitrary rate f_s, we will obtain a sequence x[n].
>
> This sequence will be the same sequence we would obtain from sampling, at
> the same rate f_s, an infinite number of other sinusoids of continuous
> frequency different from f1.
> The spectrum would be a series of delta at locations f =f1 +- k*f_s.
>
> This would happens even if f_s>>2*f1: the ambiguity on which continuous
> frequency sinusoid this sequence x[n] belongs to will remain...
>
> Does that mean that we need to make some assumptions, that we need to know
> something beforehand, to be able to associate x[n] to cos(2pi*f1*t+theta)?
> What are these assumptions?

The obvious one: that f1 < f_s/2. Generally you enforce this with
anti-aliasing filters.

Note that you can also sample to a lower frequency, by sampling a high
frequency bandpass signal and intentionally aliasing it down to DC.
There's a term for it that escapes me at the moment...

> Aliasing occurs if our interpolating algorithm assumes that f_max=f_s/2,
> correct?

Aliasing is a consequence of sampling, depending on how you view things
it either occurs any time you sample, or whenever you sample a signal
with frequency components outside of your assumed range.

> If f1=5 Hz f_s/2=8 Hz, an ideal passband filter (-f_s/2 to f_s/2)
> in the freq. domain will pass f1=5 but also the frequency f=3 Hz, correct?

Yes. But if f_s = 16Hz, then the alias frequency for 5Hz will be 11Hz,
not 3Hz.

This may help:
http://www.wescottdesign.com/articles/Sampling/sampling.html

--