From: goutham raj on
i'm in need of converting a decimal number(double datatype) to a binary number. The inbuilt matlab function dec2bin supports only 16bit conversion with no decimal point precision. can't i convert a number greater than 65536(2^16) using matlab?? also pls help me in converting a floating point decimal number to binary...
thanks in advance...
gouthamraj
From: Jan Simon on
Dear Goutham,

> i'm in need of converting a decimal number(double datatype) to a binary number.

Please specify what "binary" number means.

Jan
From: Walter Roberson on
goutham raj wrote:
> i'm in need of converting a decimal number(double datatype) to a binary
> number. The inbuilt matlab function dec2bin supports only 16bit
> conversion with no decimal point precision. can't i convert a number
> greater than 65536(2^16) using matlab?? also pls help me in converting a
> floating point decimal number to binary...

Which version are you using?

>> dec2bin(99999)
ans =
11000011010011111
>> dec2bin(2^52+1)
ans =
10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

If you want to convert a floating point number to binary, you can start
with num2hex() which will convert a single precision or double precision
number to the hex representation of IEEE 754

>> num2hex(pi)
ans =
400921fb54442d18

In the past I have posted floating point to binary conversion routines
(and vice versus)