From: J on
I'm trying to decipher some code like the following:

<MaxLength(50)> _
<SQLParameter()> _
<PropertyDBType(SqlDbType.VarChar)> _
Public Property Coolness() As String
Get
Return ModifiedDataValues("Coolness").Value
End Get

Set(ByVal value As String)
ModifiedDataValues("Coolness").Value = value
End Set
End Property

What are the first 3 lines telling me? Some sort of binding sql server
properties to a class property? What purpose and what would this be used
for? Whats the c# equivalent syntax for those 3 lines? Where can I see an
example online?

Thanks.

From: Scott M. on

"J" <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to decipher some code like the following:
>
> <MaxLength(50)> _
> <SQLParameter()> _
> <PropertyDBType(SqlDbType.VarChar)> _
> Public Property Coolness() As String
> Get
> Return ModifiedDataValues("Coolness").Value
> End Get
>
> Set(ByVal value As String)
> ModifiedDataValues("Coolness").Value = value
> End Set
> End Property
>
> What are the first 3 lines telling me? Some sort of binding sql server
> properties to a class property? What purpose and what would this be used
> for? Whats the c# equivalent syntax for those 3 lines? Where can I see
> an example online?
>
> Thanks.

The first 3 lines are compiler attributes. They are instructions for the
compiler that help it modify the code that follows.

The first line indicates taht the SQL parameter cannot be longer than 50
characters.
The second line indicates that the property maps to a SQL Parameter object.
The third line indicates that the data type for the parameter is SQL
VarChar.

In C#, the syntax is largely the same, but uses square brackets [] to denote
the compiler attributes.

This is also referred to as "decorating" the code and it is used/can be used
on a wide variety of code structures.

-Scott

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Feb 19, 3:43 pm, "J" <nob...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to decipher some code like the following:
>
> <MaxLength(50)> _
> <SQLParameter()> _
> <PropertyDBType(SqlDbType.VarChar)> _
> Public Property Coolness() As String
>    Get
>       Return ModifiedDataValues("Coolness").Value
>    End Get
>
>    Set(ByVal value As String)
>       ModifiedDataValues("Coolness").Value = value
>    End Set
> End Property
>
> What are the first 3 lines telling me?  Some sort of binding sql server
> properties to a class property? What purpose and what would this be used
> for?  Whats the c# equivalent syntax for those 3 lines?   Where can I see an
> example online?
>
> Thanks.

These are attributes to get information about property at runtime.
For more information please look at MSDN

vb: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa711860.aspx
c#: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa287992.aspx