From: Sven Mascheck on
Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Curious; are there systems where /usr/bin and /bin are not equivalent
> (or even identical [by one directory linking the other])?

You can find that specific info for some unix flavours hidden
in a collection of real world shell versions/paths.
(However, the actual contents of the respective directories and
a detailed overview about various Linux Distributions are not present.)

http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/shells/

It's the first item in a respective flavour. In short:
- a symbolic link from /bin to /usr/bin is a convention on most
commercial unix flavours after the historic days (exceptions are
e.g. OpenServer and Unicos).
- it's a rare exception on free unix flavours
From: Wayne on
On 6/30/2010 9:14 AM, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Chris F.A. Johnson schrieb:
>>> Curious; are there systems where /usr/bin and /bin are not equivalent
>>> (or even identical [by one directory linking the other])?
>>>
>>> I don't recall having worked on a Unix system with different contents
>>> in those two directories.
>>
>> The only systems where I've seen them equivalent is Sun/Solaris; on
>> all others they are separate directories with different commands.
>>

> I am specifically interested in AIX 3/4 and HP-UX 9/10 which have
> been just two Unix families where I worked some decade(s) ago but
> have no access currently. Also those Suse Linux'es (version 7, or
> earlier). (I really thought to have seen that in several places,
> and I was confident that at least AIX had that too. It's certainly
> also possible that I may be misremembering, though.)
>
> And what's the difference between the contents of /usr/bin and /bin
> (ignoring /usr/sbin and /sbin for the moment) on those system where
> it differs?
>
> Janis

For Linux, see <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html> or
the man page for hier(7). For Solaris, see the man page for
filesystem(5). No doubt there is a similar man page for AIX and
other systems.

--
Wayne
From: John Kelly on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:10:43 +0200, Janis Papanagnou
<janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Curious; are there systems where /usr/bin and /bin are not equivalent
>(or even identical [by one directory linking the other])?

Linux has common system utilities, like sed, in /bin

>fw:~# ls -l /bin/sed
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 40468 2008-03-02 22:22 /bin/sed

>fw:~# ls -l /usr/bin/sed
>ls: cannot access /usr/bin/sed: No such file or directory

Putting /usr/bin ahead of /bin in your path, causes an extra path search
every time you invoke sed, or any other common utility.

That's why I use a default path of:

/bin:/usr/bin

And by extension, the same applies to /usr/local/bin; having it at the
front of your path means needless path searches for system utilities.

So for efficiency, I prefer:

/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

And if I ever need to override standard system binaries; I will put

/opt/local/bin

at the front of my default path, though at the undesirable cost of extra
path searches, which so far, I have avoided.

Using /opt/local/bin for this purpose does not conflict with FHS 2.3; it
merely extends the use of /opt in a way not addressed by the FHS. OTOH,
if some clown decides to name his package "local" I wouldn't install his
silly nonsense anyway. So why would I care.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Janis Papanagnou on
On 30/06/10 22:59, John Kelly wrote:
> [...]
>
> Putting /usr/bin ahead of /bin in your path, causes an extra path search
> every time you invoke sed, or any other common utility.

Shouldn't that be covered by cashing ("hashing", "tracked alias")?
I.e., without sacrificing the path precedence (overriding) feature.

Janis

[...]
From: Janis Papanagnou on
On 30/06/10 16:16, Sven Mascheck wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>> Curious; are there systems where /usr/bin and /bin are not equivalent
>> (or even identical [by one directory linking the other])?
>
> You can find that specific info for some unix flavours hidden
> in a collection of real world shell versions/paths.
> (However, the actual contents of the respective directories and
> a detailed overview about various Linux Distributions are not present.)
>
> http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/shells/
>
> It's the first item in a respective flavour. In short:
> - a symbolic link from /bin to /usr/bin is a convention on most
> commercial unix flavours after the historic days (exceptions are
> e.g. OpenServer and Unicos).

Am I reading that correctly; that you confirm my memories for those
commercial Unix systems (AIX, HP-UX, and SunOS) that I worked on?

> - it's a rare exception on free unix flavours

Cygwin is probably no good example, but there you have equal /bin
and /usr/bin contents as well.

Janis