From: David Combs on
In article <60rhf7xlqg.ln2(a)goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>,
Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
>On 2010-06-26, John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:55:56 -0700, Keith Keller
>><kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
>>>
>>>A good syadmin
>>>will use this feature sparingly but will still want it available if
>>>needed.
>>
>> I've never faced a situation where I had to do it. Somehow, I find
>> another way.
>
>I've never faced a situation where I *had* to do it, but I have on very
>rare occasion faced a situation where it was much easier and more
>helpful to do so. Somehow, I *almost* always find another way. The
>funny thing is, I find another way even with /usr/local/bin being first
>in the PATH, so that in the (again, *very* *rare*) event I can not find
>another way, I still have the option to put my binary there to override
>the system.
>
>--keith

Keith -- nice post. Do you suppose you could expand your discussion
a bit with some examples of where you can and cannot "find another way",
and kinds of thing you do to finally accomplish the task?

Annotated-examples -- would that be nice, for this IMPORTANT solution to
a calamaty.

Thanks!

David

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-07-27, David Combs <dkcombs(a)panix.com> wrote:

> Keith -- nice post. Do you suppose you could expand your discussion
> a bit with some examples of where you can and cannot "find another way",
> and kinds of thing you do to finally accomplish the task?

Unfortunately, I can't recall the specific times I've actually done it,
since it's only happened a very small number of times.

I can give one potential scenario, which is an extension of a situation
I had a few years back. Suppose a very bad memory leak is found in
/usr/bin/perl, which affects some of your own scripts, but no system
scripts. Generally, the system scripts come with #!/usr/bin/perl as the
shebang line. So you could modify your scripts to use #!perl,
#!/usr/bin/env perl, or even explicitly #!/usr/local/bin/perl, and put
your own copy of a fixed perl into /usr/local/bin.

Locally, we fixed this issue by putting #!/usr/local/perl5.x.x/bin/perl
into our scripts that needed it, so I ended up not overriding the system
perl. But I can certainly see where some sites might prefer my above
described solution.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)