From: brownh on
I'm so used to copying info from one X configuration file to another,
that I didn't realize that xorg now automatically sets the screen
resolution without use of the Screen Section.

In a machine two years old running debian/lenny, with a MSI NX8500GT
512 Mb, 128 bit, GDDR2 graphics card and 21" LCD monitor, I had
defined a screen section, subsection, modes to be 1680x1050. Indeed, $
xrandr reports that current resolution is 1680x1050.

In a machine now being built, also running debian/lenny, with EGVA
512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 video card and a
23" LCD monitor, the default screen section in xorg.conf does not specify
the mode. The monitor's optimal resolution is 1920 X 1080 @
60Hz. However, rather than getting this automatically, $ xrandr reports
that I'm currently running at a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024.

Why am I getting lower max resolution with better hardware?

I'm tempted simply to write a mode subsection in the Screen Section to
force a 1920x1080 resolution. Any obvious reason I should not do this
as I've done before?

Haines Brown

Pages: 1
Prev: MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard