From: shank on
Is there a way to delete files and/or select emails without being recovered
by forensics?

Assuming yes, is there a way to prevent forensics from detecting if you
performed a delete action?

thanks

From: John Wunderlich on
"shank" <shank(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote in

> Is there a way to delete files and/or select emails without being
> recovered by forensics?
>
> Assuming yes, is there a way to prevent forensics from detecting
> if you performed a delete action?
>
> thanks

Check out freeware "Eraser":
<http://eraser.heidi.ie/>

HTH,
John

From: Jose on
On Jun 17, 11:24 pm, "shank" <sh...(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to delete files and/or select emails without being recovered
> by forensics?
>
> Assuming yes, is there a way to prevent forensics from detecting if you
> performed a delete action?
>
> thanks

You must remember that no matter what tool you choose to use, the
forensic recovery person has that tool too (and better ones).

If I see some "completely remove" tool like Eraser come along, I am
going to get it too and use Eraser on my system and then I am going to
figure out how to recover at least some information from a system that
has been Erased. I will know what an Erased system looks like and
what to do.

If I suspect you have used Eraser to delete your files, I am going to
already know how it works, what it does, what it doesn't do, what it
leaves behind and where it leaves it.

I am always going to try to be one step (or maybe leaps and bounds)
ahead of any free Internet tool.

If you are worried at all about your stuff, then you need to turn the
tables in such a way that you are a step ahead. You would have to
know what I have available (software and/or humans) and do something
that exceeds the capabilities of my resources and remove your data in
such a way that the resources I have will not be able to recover it or
the methods to recover it have not been invented yet.

Trouble is, you will never know the resources I have, but I probably
already know the resources you have and what they look like and have
already practiced recovering (at least something) from them many,
many times before you even heard of them.
From: Jose on
On Jun 18, 6:45 am, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 11:24 pm, "shank" <sh...(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to delete files and/or select emails without being recovered
> > by forensics?
>
> > Assuming yes, is there a way to prevent forensics from detecting if you
> > performed a delete action?
>
> > thanks
>
> You must remember that no matter what tool you choose to use, the
> forensic recovery person has that tool too (and better ones).
>
> If I see some "completely remove" tool like Eraser come along, I am
> going to get it too and use Eraser on my system and then I am going to
> figure out how to recover at least some information from a system that
> has been Erased.    I will know what an Erased system looks like and
> what to do.
>
> If I suspect you have used Eraser to delete your files, I am going to
> already know how it works, what it does, what it doesn't do, what it
> leaves behind and where it leaves it.
>
> I am always going to try to be one step (or maybe leaps and bounds)
> ahead of any free Internet tool.
>
> If you are worried at all about your stuff, then you need to turn the
> tables in such a way that you are a step ahead.  You would have to
> know what I have available (software and/or humans) and do something
> that exceeds the capabilities of my resources and remove your data in
> such a way that the resources I have will not be able to recover it or
> the methods to recover it have not been invented yet.
>
> Trouble is, you will never know the resources I have, but I probably
> already know the resources you have and what they look like and have
> already practiced recovering (at least something)  from them many,
> many times before you even heard of them.

....and when you get through using Eraser, be sure to erase Eraser so I
don't know about it either.
From: Bob I on
Let face it, you will ALWAYS be wondering if you got it erased!.

shank wrote:

> Is there a way to delete files and/or select emails without being recovered
> by forensics?
>
> Assuming yes, is there a way to prevent forensics from detecting if you
> performed a delete action?
>
> thanks
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5