From: Nicolas Neuss on
Hello,

I have just experienced a problem with detachtty on my VPS, namely that
forking a child process (LaTeX) from an SBCL instance did not work
("couldn't fork a child process-cannot allocate memory"). OTOH, with
sbcl running under screen everything works. Did anyone observe this,
too, or does someone know what could be the reason (and maybe even
propose a solution)? Otherwise, I'll just switch to screen.

Thanks,

Nicolas
From: Captain Obvious on
NN> I have just experienced a problem with detachtty on my VPS, namely that
NN> forking a child process (LaTeX) from an SBCL instance did not work
NN> ("couldn't fork a child process-cannot allocate memory"). OTOH, with
NN> sbcl running under screen everything works. Did anyone observe this,
NN> too, or does someone know what could be the reason (and maybe even
NN> propose a solution)? Otherwise, I'll just switch to screen.

"cannot allocate memory" problem might be caused by ulimit settings.
Maybe they are different under detachtty and screen for some reason?
E.g. different shell environment?

From: archimag on
> Otherwise, I'll just switch to screen.

I think it is best not to use any screen or detachtty - it is a
kludge.
With SBCL on Linux I use "pure lisp" demon.
My code: http://github.com/archimag/restas/blob/master/contrib/restas-daemon.lisp
..
You can easily adapt it to fit your needs.