From: Haris Bogdanovi� on
Hi.

I started a swank server in emacs/sbcl. in windows.
I'm trying to make a tunnel with putty on port 4005
but I always get: connection refused.
I'm trying to connect to the same machine for practice..
In one emacs I have server started and with other I'm
trying to connect to that server and I get:
Connecting to Swank on port 4005.. [2 times]
open-network-stream: make client process failed: connection refused, :name,
SLIME Lisp, :buffer, nil, :host, 127.0.0.1, :service, 4005
Why I can't even open a tunnel in putty ?
I guess when I open a tunnel, it will succed in connecting to a swank server
?

From: Haris Bogdanovi� on
I just downloaded ssh2 for windows
How can I make a tunnel to the same machine
on port 4005 with ssh2 ?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
"Haris Bogdanovi�" <fbogdanovic(a)xnet.hr> writes:

> I just downloaded ssh2 for windows
> How can I make a tunnel to the same machine
> on port 4005 with ssh2 ?

Using google may help.

From: D Herring on
On 07/10/2010 03:18 PM, Haris Bogdanovi� wrote:
> I just downloaded ssh2 for windows
> How can I make a tunnel to the same machine
> on port 4005 with ssh2 ?

If port 4005 is already listening, you cannot re-open it with another
program.

If it is not open, ssh into the computer, type "~C" to get a prompt,
then type "-L 4005:localhost:1234" and hit enter. This will open port
4005 on the computer running ssh (local machine -> L for local
tunnel), and connections to that port will be tunneled to port 1234 on
the remote server. The -L can also appear on the ssh command line.
Putty has this option under something like advanced or tunneling.

- Daniel
From: Captain Obvious on
HB> I started a swank server in emacs/sbcl. in windows.
HB> I'm trying to make a tunnel with putty on port 4005
HB> but I always get: connection refused.
HB> I'm trying to connect to the same machine for practice..
HB> Why I can't even open a tunnel in putty ?

I guess you're doing it wrong.
But I don't know how exactly because you didn't say.

If you're trying to connect to the same machine, then I guess you could mess
up ports.

To begin with, do you have SSH server on your Windows machine? Because you
need this to connect via ssh.
Make sure that you can connect before trying tunnels.

Next thing: ports. Let's say your SLIME server is listening on
localhost:4005. (That's default.)

If you're using same machine. you cannot tunnel it to port 4005 because port
4005 is already taken.
Thus you need to tunnel it to some other port, say, localhost:5005.

In putty, open Connection > SSH > Tunnels.
Set "Source port" to 5005.
Set "Destion" to "localhost:4005".
Leave radiobutton "Local" checked (this is default).
Add this tunnel.

You should see it as "L5005 localhost:4005" in list of tunnels.

This should work.

Then you can connect SLIME to 127.0.0.1 5005 and it should work just as if
you've connected to localhost:4005 directly.

By the way, it's a good idea to check if you can connect to 127.0.0.1 4005
first -- if you don't then SLIME server is not running and so it doesn't
make sense to have tunnels.

HB> I guess when I open a tunnel, it will succed in connecting to a swank
HB> server ?

I think so.