From: JohnE on
I have a situation in which I now need to show the detail of the selected
record from a gridview, which has 6 fields per row. The detail will be done
using the modal popup. But, and here's the issue, the full record for the
gridview record is 50 fields. I have it all set up and the detailview
showing the proper full record in the modal. Just need to fine tune it for
updating etc. But all 50 fields are in one long table. The users won't
accept that, and I won't either. I am wondering tho if it would be better to
use the formview as it allows the use of template fields, like what I have in
the gridview. As I started looking over the table, I'll need the template
fields. I might have just answered my first question of whether to use a
detailsview or formview. If my thought here is flawed, kindly let me know.
The other question has to do with whichever I use, can it be "paged" so the
modal isn't so long? If so, how is that done inside a modal?

Thanks .... John
From: Andy O'Neill on

"JohnE" <JohnE(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a situation in which I now need to show the detail of the selected
> record from a gridview, which has 6 fields per row. The detail will be
> done
> using the modal popup. But, and here's the issue, the full record for the
> gridview record is 50 fields. I have it all set up and the detailview
> showing the proper full record in the modal. Just need to fine tune it
> for
> updating etc. But all 50 fields are in one long table. The users won't
> accept that, and I won't either. I am wondering tho if it would be better
> use the formview as it allows the use of template fields, like what I have
> in
> the gridview. As I started looking over the table, I'll need the template
> fields. I might have just answered my first question of whether to use a
> detailsview or formview. If my thought here is flawed, kindly let me
> know.
> The other question has to do with whichever I use, can it be "paged" so
> the
> modal isn't so long? If so, how is that done inside a modal?
>
> Thanks .... John

I rarely use detailsview.
It's only suitable for admin users who don't care about styling IMO.