From: Garrett Smith on
On 5/28/2010 3:16 AM, Beline wrote:

> "Joe Nine"<joe9(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Beline wrote:
>>> how to programmatically determine Adobe Acrobat PDF plug-in version
>>> installed in Firefox and Opera?
>>> Is it possible with Javascript?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Surely the FAQ at adobe.com would explain that.
> ------
>
> sorry, didn't find this. Can you point me?

Adobe has published documents related to Flash detection that are
harmful and misleading. For example:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/future_detection_02.html

Which will fail anytime the userAgent string contains "msie" but doesn't
support VBScript. It is browser detection at its worst and a good
example of code that is not "forwards compatible".

Like flash, Acrobat is a plugin, however you should keep in mind that
Adobe Acrobat is not the only PDF viewer. Foxit, for example, Safari has
its own preview for PDF files that does not rely on any Adobe plugin.

The web page might provide a link to the PDF and leave it up to the user
to download that or view it as he wishes (right click and save, etc). It
may be worth considering providing a link to a reader/plugin.

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> Beline wrote:
> [...]
>
> Like flash, Acrobat is a plugin, however you should keep in mind that
> Adobe Acrobat is not the only PDF viewer. Foxit, for example, Safari has
> its own preview for PDF files that does not rely on any Adobe plugin.
>
> The web page might provide a link to the PDF and leave it up to the user
> to download that or view it as he wishes (right click and save, etc). It
> may be worth considering providing a link to a reader/plugin.

However, plugin detection appears to be rather easy to do in the targeted
environments using navigator.plugins.

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: David Mark on
On May 30, 8:24 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
> > Beline wrote:
> > [...]
>
> > Like flash, Acrobat is a plugin, however you should keep in mind that
> > Adobe Acrobat is not the only PDF viewer. Foxit, for example, Safari has
> > its own preview for PDF files that does not rely on any Adobe plugin.
>
> > The web page might provide a link to the PDF and leave it up to the user
> > to download that or view it as he wishes (right click and save, etc). It
> > may be worth considering providing a link to a reader/plugin.
>
> However, plugin detection appears to be rather easy to do in the targeted
> environments using navigator.plugins.

Yes, but what would you do differently if the plug-in was detected (or
not).
From: Beline on

"David Mark" <dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On May 28, 5:56 am, Joe Nine <j...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Beline wrote:
> > how to programmatically determine Adobe Acrobat PDF plug-in version
> > installed in Firefox and Opera?
> > Is it possible with Javascript?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> Surely the FAQ at adobe.com would explain that.

I wouldn't count on it (at least not to explain it well). For
example, their Flash version detection is all tangled up in UA-based
browser sniffing.
----------

already find solution here:
http://www.pinlady.net/PluginDetect/AdobeReaderDetect.htm

thanks.

From: David Mark on
On May 30, 11:58 am, "Beline" <Bel...(a)somenewsgroup.com> wrote:
> "David Mark" <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On May 28, 5:56 am, Joe Nine <j...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Beline wrote:
> > > how to programmatically determine Adobe Acrobat PDF plug-in version
> > > installed in Firefox and Opera?
> > > Is it possible with Javascript?
>
> > > Thanks.
>
> > Surely the FAQ at adobe.com would explain that.
>
> I wouldn't count on it (at least not to explain it well).  For
> example, their Flash version detection is all tangled up in UA-based
> browser sniffing.
> ----------
>
> already find solution here:http://www.pinlady.net/PluginDetect/AdobeReaderDetect.htm

That's not a solution. It's a pile of dated delusions.

function(){var $=this,nav=navigator,userAgent=
$.isString(nav.userAgent)?nav.userAgent:"",vendor=
$.isString(nav.vendor)?nav.vendor:"",platform=$.isString(nav.platform)?
nav.platform:"";$.OS=(/win/i).test(platform)?1:((/mac/
i).test(platform)?2:((/linux/i).test(platform)?3:4));$.convertFuncs($);
$.isIE=/*@cc_on!@*/false;$.IEver=$.isIE&&((/MSIE\s*(\d\.?\d*)/
i).exec(userAgent))?parseFloat(RegExp.
$1,10):-1;$.ActiveXEnabled=false;if($.isIE){ ...

"Note to users: I need some information from Macintosh users to
improve Adobe Reader detection. If you have a Macintosh with Adobe
Reader 8 installed, then with your Safari (and/or Firefox) browser, go
to this page. Select all the text on that page, copy, and paste into a
text file. Then email that text file to Eric Gerds . That would be a
big help to me. Please also mention the exact version of Adobe Reader
you have installed when you email me. BTW, I already have info on Mac/
Adobe Reader 7 & 9."

Another "test swarm". :)

From glancing at the rest of the article, the problem they are
attempting to solve (one observed browser at a time) may well be
impossible. In such a case, the only course of action is avoidance
(not continuing down the endless road they are on).

And if you think about it, you really can't know what sort of Acrobat
reader the end-user might have installed. Link to the PDF with a
disclaimer that links to Adobe's download page. Problem solved
(forever).