From: Mladen Gogala on
Did anybody succeed in configuring it to connect to a foreign data source
on Red Hat Linux? If yes, what was the version? Oracle is shipping an
ODBC driver that is incompatible with the driver manager delivered by Red
Hat since the version 10.2.0.4. Googling yields hundreds of results and
yet nothing is done. Does anybody know if that is a political decision?
Open, yes, but not in such a way that people could actually use it? I
opened my 2nd SR and still no resolution. I am starting to believe that
ODBC gateway for anything other than Windows is just a marketing ploy, a
bad one at that. In other words, I don't think that Oracle is interested
in enabling people to use MySQL or PostgreSQL in tandem with Oracle. It
only pisses me off that they don't tell me that and waste my time.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: Geoff Muldoon on
In article <hblv8s$r37$1(a)solani.org>, Mladen Gogala says...
> Did anybody succeed in configuring it to connect to a foreign data source
> on Red Hat Linux? If yes, what was the version? Oracle is shipping an
> ODBC driver that is incompatible with the driver manager delivered by Red
> Hat since the version 10.2.0.4. Googling yields hundreds of results and
> yet nothing is done. Does anybody know if that is a political decision?
> Open, yes, but not in such a way that people could actually use it? I
> opened my 2nd SR and still no resolution. I am starting to believe that
> ODBC gateway for anything other than Windows is just a marketing ploy, a
> bad one at that. In other words, I don't think that Oracle is interested
> in enabling people to use MySQL or PostgreSQL in tandem with Oracle. It
> only pisses me off that they don't tell me that and waste my time.

Have managed to get Oracle 10.2 on RHEL4 to talk to MS-MSQL using uxixODBC
and FreeTDS.

GM
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:50:25 +1100, Geoff Muldoon wrote:

> Have managed to get Oracle 10.2 on RHEL4 to talk to MS-MSQL using
> uxixODBC and FreeTDS.

Me too. That was 10.2.0.3. That, however, was not the question. In
oracle11, they have this shiny new product which was supposed to be a
standalone product, and which would do the same thing. First, there is no
such product available for download. One has to download the whole
caboodle. Second, when one does download the whole thing, it doesn't
work. I opened a SR, uploaded files and the Oracle analyst responded that
he cannot open TGZ files and asked me to re-send the whole thing. That
tells me something about the resources that Oracle Corp. is putting into
that product, even if I hadn't noticed that they're shipping incompatible
software for almost 2 years now. At this point, I am close to wiping it
all out and downloading the good, old Oracle 10.2.0.3 which I know to
work. Basically, ODBC gateway is just a marketing feature, it doesn't
really work.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: yossarian on
Mladen Gogala wrote:

> In
> oracle11, they have this shiny new product which was supposed to be a
> standalone product, and which would do the same thing.

So hsodbc is not shipped anymore with 11g? What are the claimed benefits
of this new product over hsodbc?

Y.
From: Mark D Powell on
On Oct 21, 3:21 am, yossarian <yossaria...(a)operamail.com> wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:
> > In
> > oracle11, they have this shiny new product which was supposed to be a
> > standalone product, and which would do the same thing.
>
> So hsodbc is not shipped anymore with 11g? What are the claimed benefits
> of this new product over hsodbc?
>
> Y.

HSODBC is still present in 11g. 11g also supports the Open Gateway
interface which dg4odbc is part of.

As far as getting dg4odbc installed and working I do not have a clue
but I am pretty sure it is needed for the HSODBC interface as well as
the Gateway product.

There is a separate manual on the feature: Oracle® Database
Heterogeneous Connectivity Administrator's Guide
10g Release 2 (10.2) Part Number B14232-01. One possible issue on 64
bit systems is that Oracle specifies that the ODBC driver must be 32
bit.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2