From: Nobody on
"mp" <nospam(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message
> how can i check in the ide? help|about shows version 8176 vba:retail
> 6.0.8169 forms3:2.01

That explains the error then, you need the stand alone VB6, not VBA to use
the ADODC control, and many of VB6 controls.

From: mp on

"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> "mp" <nospam(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message
>> how can i check in the ide? help|about shows version 8176 vba:retail
>> 6.0.8169 forms3:2.01
>
> That explains the error then, you need the stand alone VB6, not VBA to use
> the ADODC control, and many of VB6 controls.

that is stand alone vb6 enterprise
in your help|about box you dont have a reference to the vba version for that
vb6?
i assumed the vba refernece was due to the fact that vb is built on vba
namespace or whatever it's called
i don't know the right term but am referring to:
ie Left$(string,x) is VBA.Left

From: mp on

>I see that you are using "Controls.Add" method to add the ADODC control. I
>doubt that the GUID changed because of binary compatibility issues. In MS
>December 2008 Rollup update, there is a mention of a bug when
>"Controls.Add" is used, perhaps the OP has that update. I tested this
>update with Winsock control to see if Load statement is effected(to load
>more sockets), and I didn't get any errors after applying Dec 2008 and May
>2009 updates, so perhaps it only effect "Controls.Add". I didn't test
>"Controls.Add".
>
> Description of the cumulative update rollup for the Visual Basic 6.0
> Service Pack 6 Runtime Extended Files
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924

i've always avoided running sp6 since i heard here through the years that
there were problems with it
i don't know enough to know what they were or if it would affect me but just
figured the concensus here was stay with sp5
however i have done windows updates on occasion...could they have
surreptitiously updated vb service pack in one of those?

it may be i've forgotten to reapply sp5, waiting to hear how to tell what sp
is active.
seems there should be some version number i could look at but dont' know

thanks
mark

From: Ralph on

> "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> > "mp" <nospam(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message
> >> how can i check in the ide? help|about shows version 8176 vba:retail
> >> 6.0.8169 forms3:2.01
> >
> > That explains the error then, you need the stand alone VB6, not VBA to
use
> > the ADODC control, and many of VB6 controls.
>
> that is stand alone vb6 enterprise
> in your help|about box you dont have a reference to the vba version for
that
> vb6?
> i assumed the vba refernece was due to the fact that vb is built on vba
> namespace or whatever it's called
> i don't know the right term but am referring to:
> ie Left$(string,x) is VBA.Left

yep.

[
Ha, I totally forgot about that showing up in VB6 Help/About.
Would have helped during an earlier attempt to enlighten some .Net fool.
]

-ralph

From: Ralph on

> "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> >I see that you are using "Controls.Add" method to add the ADODC control.
> >doubt that the GUID changed because of binary compatibility issues. In MS
> >December 2008 Rollup update, there is a mention of a bug when
> >"Controls.Add" is used, perhaps the OP has that update. I tested this
> >update with Winsock control to see if Load statement is effected(to load
> >more sockets), and I didn't get any errors after applying Dec 2008 and
May
> >2009 updates, so perhaps it only effect "Controls.Add". I didn't test
> >"Controls.Add".
> >
> > Description of the cumulative update rollup for the Visual Basic 6.0
> > Service Pack 6 Runtime Extended Files
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924
>
> i've always avoided running sp6 since i heard here through the years that
> there were problems with it
> i don't know enough to know what they were or if it would affect me but
just
> figured the concensus here was stay with sp5
> however i have done windows updates on occasion...could they have
> surreptitiously updated vb service pack in one of those?
>
> it may be i've forgotten to reapply sp5, waiting to hear how to tell what
sp
> is active.
> seems there should be some version number i could look at but dont' know

The SP shows up in the Help/About dialog at the top in paranenthsis. Also on
the splash screen - I think - but it goes by too quickly on this machine to
check.

The basic issues with upgrading to SP6 were relatively minor, and most often
occurred with existing projects in development. Also not all problems were
known when it first appeared, so not much help if one did have a problem.
And overall there wasn't much that SP6 brought that was new or improved. -
thus the general consensus was - if it ain't broke, why go there?

Since then most issues/problems are documented - you can find a fix online
or get help in this group. Second, SP6 "versions" of the runtime components
are now installed with the new Windows O/S. You can actually avoid some
other minor exotic issues with SP5 on Vista and Win7 if you compile against
VB SP6.

Personally if you are writing for XP SP1+/Vista/Win7 I would upgrade to SP6.

Of course it depends on what your app is doing - it is always possible your
app is riddled with "exceptions". And like all SPs commonly a PITA to go
back. <g>

-ralph

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5