From: mp on
After long time away from trying to learn database i'm back to trying to
make a simple jobs/contacts/todo list database for personal use at work

tried to run the dhSqlite demo(right clikced the vbp- hit Start with full
compile)

got the following compile error at this line:
Private Sub AdoDC_FieldChangeComplete(ByVal cFields As Long, Fields As
Variant, ByVal pError As ADODB.Error, adStatus As ADODB.EventStatusEnum,
ByVal pRecordset As ADODB.Recordset

error:
Procedure declaration does not match description of event ... having same
name

the readme.txt has last line: (in Mar/2008)

is that the current incarnation?

I copied sqlite dll and directcom to system32
I copied dhRichClient to my "registerd dlls" folder and regsvr'ed
the project correctly finds my path to dhRichClient when I open the vbp and
look at references

what did i do wrong?
thanks
mark

From: Nobody on
This seems to be unrelated to dhSqliteDemo. That error typically show up if
you first used a control without setting the Index property, then decided
later to use it. In this case, Index parameter must be the first parameter.
Make VB generate the updated event declaration using the code window combo
boxes, then replace the declaration.

From: Schmidt on

"mp" <nospam(a)Thanks.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> After long time away from trying to learn database i'm back
> to trying to make a simple jobs/contacts/todo list database
> for personal use at work
>
> tried to run the dhSqlite demo(right clikced the vbp- hit Start with
> full compile)

First ensure, that you're using the latest Binaries and Demos from:
www.thecommon.net/3.html

Then install all of the Binaries into a separate Folder on
your local Disk, as e.g on:
C:\dhRichClient3\...
To register the COM-Dlls you could run the included
Register.bat file - or do it "by hand" with your tool
of choice.

Then proceed with the new downloaded Demos - you
don't need to put the Demo-zip-contents into the Folder
I've just mentioned above - but doing so would work
too of course.

Then start the NWind-Demo-project in the \SQLite
Demo-Folder.

The error-message you've mentioned (ADODC-event-
related) presumable has nothing to do with the RichClient-
toolset. It's probably caused by a not matching Interface-
Definition of my older Demo-Project and the ADODC-Control-
Interface-Specs on your local dev-machine. Not sure now,
if I have a version which is not current (my VB6-install is
updated up to SP5) - or if you maybe have an older Version
of the VB6-Servicepacks installed, so that the ADODC-Ctl
on your machine is incompatible regarding the interface.

If you have an ADO-DC-Version which is "marked" in the
Component-Viewer different than (SP-4), then it could make
sense to update your VB6-package first (including a newer
ADODC) - or if that does not help, then just comment
out this Event-Procedure in question - and then re-select
the new Event-Procedure from the DropDown-Combo
at the TopRight-Corner of your Editor-Window. Then
fill in the Code of the outcommented Event-Proc into
the new, now matching one.

Now, looking at my updated dhRichClient3-Demo-Code,
I've just discovered - that the Form with the ADODC-Demo
is removed in this new version. So the just written stuff
above is not relevant anymore ("just for the archives").

The older Demo had a comparison between two "DC-
DataBinding-Forms" (one for ADO and one for the
SQLite-Objects) - but as just said, the ADO-DC-Form is
now removed (only the SQLite-DC-DemoForm remains).

The only remaining "comparison-forms" are the ones
which work against a DataGrid (Select-Performance) -
and the two nearly identical Insert-Performance-Demo-
Forms (all working against identical NorthWind-DB-
Data).

Let me know, when you have problems with the setup
of the new RichClient3 - maybe remove your older
RichClient beforehand to stay clean on your system.

The new version is "calling-compatible" to the older
RichClient - only the BinCompatibility was broken,
therefore it should be enough, if you switch your
older Projects, which maybe incorporate the
dhRichClient-Reference - in your project-settings
to the new dhRichClient3-reference.
But a parallel install would work too - no problem
here with that.

Olaf

From: mp on

"Schmidt" <sss(a)online.de> wrote in message

> "mp" <nospam(a)Thanks.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> After long time away from trying to learn database i'm back
snip

> First ensure, that you're using the latest Binaries and Demos from:
> www.thecommon.net/3.html

thanks got em, will proceed with installs

> Then install all of the Binaries into a separate Folder on
> your local Disk, as e.g on:
> C:\dhRichClient3\...
> To register the COM-Dlls you could run the included
> Register.bat file - or do it "by hand" with your tool
> of choice.
>

> if I have a version which is not current (my VB6-install is
> updated up to SP5) - or if you maybe have an older Version
> of the VB6-Servicepacks installed, so that the ADODC-Ctl
> on your machine is incompatible regarding the interface.

i'm pretty sure i'm on sp5 unless i forgot to load that the last time i
reformatted this box
how can i check in the ide? help|about shows version 8176 vba:retail
6.0.8169 forms3:2.01
i guess i could just rerun sp5 without fear of damage to make sure?

> If you have an ADO-DC-Version which is "marked" in the
> Component-Viewer different than (SP-4), then it could make
> sense to update your VB6-package first (including a newer
> ADODC)

sorry for my ignorance, how do i check the ado-dc version?

snip

> Let me know, when you have problems with the setup
> of the new RichClient3 - maybe remove your older
> RichClient beforehand to stay clean on your system.
>
> The new version is "calling-compatible" to the older
> RichClient - only the BinCompatibility was broken,
> therefore it should be enough, if you switch your
> older Projects, which maybe incorporate the
> dhRichClient-Reference - in your project-settings
> to the new dhRichClient3-reference.
> But a parallel install would work too - no problem
> here with that.
>
> Olaf

thanks again
mark

From: Nobody on
I see that you are using "Controls.Add" method to add the ADODC control. I
doubt that the GUID changed because of binary compatibility issues. In MS
December 2008 Rollup update, there is a mention of a bug when "Controls.Add"
is used, perhaps the OP has that update. I tested this update with Winsock
control to see if Load statement is effected(to load more sockets), and I
didn't get any errors after applying Dec 2008 and May 2009 updates, so
perhaps it only effect "Controls.Add". I didn't test "Controls.Add".

Description of the cumulative update rollup for the Visual Basic 6.0 Service
Pack 6 Runtime Extended Files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924