From: Bernard on
Bonjour ? tous,

Je viens d'acheter un dictaphone "Olympus" (Digital Voice Recorder VN
960PC). Je ne parviens pas ? le faire reconna?tre par Linux (RedHat 7.2),
alors que j'ai par ailleurs une cl? USB reconnue sans probl?me sous
/dev/sda1. Merci d'avance pour toute info ou tuyau pour me permettre
d'exploiter sous Linux les donn?es enregistr?es avec cet appareil.
From: Bernard on
Hi to everyone,

I just bought a Digital Voice Recorder (Olympus VN960PC), but I can't get
it reckognized under Linux (RedHat 7.2). My USB key is being reckognized
under /dev/sda1, but the voice recorder is not.

Thanks in advance for any hint that would allow me to use this device in
Linux environment.
From: Moe Trin on
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
<45080015$0$8492$626a54ce(a)news.free.fr>, Bernard wrote:

Please don't post the same article to multiple groups.

>I just bought a Digital Voice Recorder (Olympus VN960PC), but I can't get
>it reckognized under Linux (RedHat 7.2). My USB key

Red Hat 7.2 is five years old. Why do you think it would support devices
designed two or three years after support ended for that distribution?

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=3866

Details for: Olympus VN-960PC Status not supported
( Digital Voice Recorder ) ( Category: Audio )
ID 07b4:020d
Driver no driver available
Linux-USB link
Vendor link
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_product.asp?id=117
8
Comment Under Windoze, it seems to be using the USB mass storage driver,
but Windoze also uses a "VN Device Driver" to communicate with this
recorder. I suspect that VN Device Driver is making the recorder look
like a USB mass storage device to Windoze.
Submitted by Daniel Lyddy ( baddogsprocket <at> yahoo.com )
Submitted on Sun, 10 Sep 2006 03:50:50 +0200

Start by getting a modern distribution. You may also want to read the
USB-FAQ at http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html

Old guy
From: Matt Giwer on
Bernard wrote:
> Hi to everyone,

> I just bought a Digital Voice Recorder (Olympus VN960PC), but I can't get
> it reckognized under Linux (RedHat 7.2). My USB key is being reckognized
> under /dev/sda1, but the voice recorder is not.

> Thanks in advance for any hint that would allow me to use this device in
> Linux environment.

7.2 didn't recognize a lot of things. That didn't matter because things were
not standardized back then and there were only Windows drivers. FC-4 not only
recognized a digital camera but knew what to do with it without any input from me.

--
If the Islamics were fascists we would have won in July 2006.
-- The Iron Webmaster, 3703
From: Bernard DEBREIL on
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:54:30 +0200, Moe Trin wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in
> article <45080015$0$8492$626a54ce(a)news.free.fr>, Bernard wrote:
>
> Please don't post the same article to multiple groups.
>
>>I just bought a Digital Voice Recorder (Olympus VN960PC), but I can't
>>get it reckognized under Linux (RedHat 7.2). My USB key
>
> Red Hat 7.2 is five years old. Why do you think it would support devices
> designed two or three years after support ended for that distribution?

I don't expect much indeed. I am not surprised not to find a comprehensive
ready to use driver for my Voice Recorder ; I just thought that it would
be reckognized as a mass storage device so that I could download files

> http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=3866
>
> Details for: Olympus VN-960PC Status not supported ( Digital Voice
> Recorder ) ( Category: Audio ) ID 07b4:020d Driver no driver
> available
> Linux-USB link
> Vendor link
> http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_product.asp?id=117
> 8
> Comment Under Windoze, it seems to be using the USB mass storage
> driver, but Windoze also uses a "VN Device Driver" to communicate
> with this recorder. I suspect that VN Device Driver is making the
> recorder look like a USB mass storage device to Windoze. Submitted by
> Daniel Lyddy ( baddogsprocket <at> yahoo.com ) Submitted on Sun, 10
> Sep 2006 03:50:50 +0200
>
> Start by getting a modern distribution. You may also want to read the
> USB-FAQ at http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html
>
> Old guy

Thanks for these hints. I have read this usb FAQ a few years ago, when I
installed gphoto2. I will have to read it carefully again. By the way, I
am surprised to see that several Olympus digital cameras are being
reckognised by gphoto2, when my voice recorder is not

--

Bernard DEBREIL