From: David Ching on
"Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> - Bad control/dialog sizes
> - Bad fonts
> - Bad font sizes
> - No WYSIWYG context for translators
> - Slower than native
> - others
>
> I don't recomend this method.

The OP had asked for an automated way of substituting strings at runtime,
didn't ask about fonts or the rest. This method gives it. In the end, it
depends on the particular application whether it works or not. There are
real world examples where it works well, and others where the concerns you
raise are real.

For the latter, this method can also be extended to specify the font in xml,
and also new coordinates of the control in case it needs to be enlarged.

For large projects with several localization iterations, there is also the
need for translation memory, etc. We have re-hashed this many times, with
the same conclusions so no need to do it again.

-- David

From: mfc on
On 22 Jun., 12:16, "David Ching" <d...(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
> "Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > - Bad control/dialog sizes
> > - Bad fonts
> > - Bad font sizes
> > - No WYSIWYG context for translators
> > - Slower than native
> > - others
>
> > I don't recomend this method.
>
> The OP had asked for an automated way of substituting strings at runtime,
> didn't ask about fonts or the rest.  This method gives it.  In the end, it
> depends on the particular application whether it works or not.  There are
> real world examples where it works well, and others where the concerns you
> raise are real.
>
> For the latter, this method can also be extended to specify the font in xml,
> and also new coordinates of the control in case it needs to be enlarged.
>
> For large projects with several localization iterations, there is also the
> need for translation memory, etc.  We have re-hashed this many times, with
> the same conclusions so no need to do it again.
>
> -- David

that means, within the library of MFC or VS2010 is no such method /
option available to achieve this aim. You can only use different dlls
(included their stringtable and so on) or any other file examples like
CSV; load these files at startup and change the values of all items
(cbuttons etc.) with LoadString() in the OnUpdate() method of each
view.

From: David Ching on
"mfc" <mfcprog(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> that means, within the library of MFC or VS2010 is no such method /
> option available to achieve this aim. You can only use different dlls
> (included their stringtable and so on) or any other file examples like
> CSV; load these files at startup and change the values of all items
> (cbuttons etc.) with LoadString() in the OnUpdate() method of each
> view.

That's right, MFC provides no such mechanism built-in, because the official
way to support multiple languages in MFC is to use satellite DLL's.

-- David

From: mfc on
On 22 Jun., 19:03, "David Ching" <d...(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
> "mfc" <mfcp...(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > that means, within the library of MFC or VS2010 is no such method /
> > option available to achieve this aim. You can only use different dlls
> > (included their stringtable and so on) or any other file examples like
> > CSV; load these files at startup and change the values of all items
> > (cbuttons etc.) with LoadString() in the OnUpdate() method of each
> > view.
>
> That's right, MFC provides no such mechanism built-in, because the official
> way to support multiple languages in MFC is to use satellite DLL's.
>
> -- David

and how did such programm work as the appTranslator?

I`ve seen the short video example on the webpage; if I`m right, this
application only generates the .rc files with different languages. But
I didn`t see any mechanism to provide these information directly to
the dialogs without using LocalString() functions, or did I miss
something...

Moreover did someone know a open-source project which will provide
these methods?

best regards
Hans
From: David Ching on
> and how did such programm work as the appTranslator?

It alters the strings, dialogs, and other resources contained in the .exe.
There is no need to replace strings at runtime, as they are already
replaced.

-- David