From: Daniel Pitts on
On 3/11/2010 6:45 AM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> Can anyone read this disassembly of Adobe's media player? It kind of big
> so for whoever cares it's gzipped. I see loops and alot of 16 bit registers
> being used.
(A) This is probably in direct violation of the EULA you agreed to
when you downloaded the software.
(B) It is not likely to be fruitful or useful.
(C) This software is probably written in a higher level language. This
means the concepts are not going to translate well.
(D) you might not have disassembled it correctly.
(E) It might require external files (DLLs for instance) to be run.
(F) Being able to read it, is different from understanding it.
(G) If you have a specific goal in mind, you should share *that* goal.
(H) No one is going to do the hard work for you. If you have a quest,
then asking for guidance if fine, but asking someone to do the quest for
you is not going to be productive.
(I) Anything gleaned may still be patented and will probably be
copyrighted, so it doesn't matter if anyone understands it.

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Daniel Pitts" <newsgroup.spamfilter(a)virtualinfinity.net> wrote in message

> (A) This is probably in direct violation of the EULA you agreed to when
> you downloaded the software.

I didn't think of that.

> (B) It is not likely to be fruitful or useful.

Why?

> (C) This software is probably written in a higher level language. This
> means the concepts are not going to translate well.
> (D) you might not have disassembled it correctly.
> (E) It might require external files (DLLs for instance) to be run.
> (F) Being able to read it, is different from understanding it.

I can see a lot of jmps and code in the AL and EAX

> (G) If you have a specific goal in mind, you should share *that* goal.

I really wanted to see what the file does how it works by reading its
assembly. I didn't know that a disassembly was so hard to use. There has to
be two sections as I understand it atleast in a assembly file. .text and
..bss

> (H) No one is going to do the hard work for you. If you have a quest,
> then asking for guidance if fine, but asking someone to do the quest for
> you is not going to be productive.

I wanted to read the output from nasm's disassembly.

From: Daniel Pitts on
On 3/12/2010 10:41 AM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> "Daniel Pitts"<newsgroup.spamfilter(a)virtualinfinity.net> wrote in message
>
>> (A) This is probably in direct violation of the EULA you agreed to when
>> you downloaded the software.
>
> I didn't think of that.
>
>> (B) It is not likely to be fruitful or useful.
>
> Why?
For the reasons I've listed below.

>> (C) This software is probably written in a higher level language. This
>> means the concepts are not going to translate well.
>> (D) you might not have disassembled it correctly.
>> (E) It might require external files (DLLs for instance) to be run.
>> (F) Being able to read it, is different from understanding it.
>
> I can see a lot of jmps and code in the AL and EAX
So you can read it, but it appears you can't understand it. This is
what I said.

>> (G) If you have a specific goal in mind, you should share *that* goal.
>
> I really wanted to see what the file does how it works by reading its
> assembly. I didn't know that a disassembly was so hard to use. There has to
> be two sections as I understand it atleast in a assembly file. .text and
> ..bss
This may be how the low-level binary is organized, however that won't
tell you what the original program's organization was.

>> (H) No one is going to do the hard work for you. If you have a quest,
>> then asking for guidance if fine, but asking someone to do the quest for
>> you is not going to be productive.
>
> I wanted to read the output from nasm's disassembly.
If that truly is your goal, then you have succeeded, you read the
disassembled results, and even discussed some of them here. If you are
still unsatisfied, then your goal is not simply to read the output.

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Daniel Pitts" <newsgroup.spamfilter(a)virtualinfinity.net> wrote in message

[snip]

> If that truly is your goal, then you have succeeded, you read the
> disassembled results, and even discussed some of them here. If you are
> still unsatisfied, then your goal is not simply to read the output.

I guess I am trying to learn assembly to reverse engineer and learn
assembly language.

Bill

From: Andrew Poelstra on
On 2010-03-13, Bill Cunningham <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> wrote:

> "Daniel Pitts" <newsgroup.spamfilter(a)virtualinfinity.net> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
>> If that truly is your goal, then you have succeeded, you read the
>> disassembled results, and even discussed some of them here. If you are
>> still unsatisfied, then your goal is not simply to read the output.
>
> I guess I am trying to learn assembly to reverse engineer and learn
> assembly language.

This isn't a useful endeavor. But if you really want to learn assembler,
check out ``PC Assembly Language'' by Dr. Paul Carter. It covers Intel
assembly language in (IIRC) nasm syntax and explains everything in
great detail.

It is available at his website:
http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/

Reading code generated by a machine isn't going to help you at all.

--
Andrew Poelstra
http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew
 |  Next  |  Last