From: "Bruce Martin" on
Dear Mr. Maloney:

I have these rules on both Thunderbird and Microsoft outlook. However the
syntax for each is different, so they need to be programmed separately on
each. These rules need to be reprogrammed on each machine, they are not
simply copied and pasted.

Also, and especially in the arguments regarding undesirable emails (scams
and pesty salesmen, the details need to be somewhat individualized based on
each user's experiences with this type of email.

Hence the arguments are formed from criteria derived from the 2 categopries
of spam itself.

As for reporting the scammers, the messages are forwarded automatically to
the anti-phishing email address of my bank, who then sends them on to the
appropriate authorities in Canada. Anything that implicates activity outside
of Canada would then logically be forwarded confidentially to Interpol after
preliminary investigation by the R.C.M.P.

By your email, I see you are in the U.S. You could contact your bank and ask
them if they have an email address to forward scam report to. If not, ask
the local sheriff's office or the police. I would expect that one or the
other can give you such an email address readily enough. That email address
should then be open public information so anyone can report a suspected
scam. Once you have this, you can form a rule that takes messages selected
from a list of criteria that define scammers and first forwards a copy of
the messages to the authorities, then deletes the scammer's email after.

(Note sequence of execution is always important.)

As with filtering all undesirable messaging, the criteria to identify them
is a never-ending cat and mouse game. The bad guys don't want to be
filtered, so they change all kinds of details randomly to fly under the
rules.

Hence every user him/herself needs to have/acquire the skill to adjust the
rules' arguments as needed, ongoing.

Then, the next level (going from the worst to the best) are the pesry
salesmen. The same diagnostic principles apply here as to the scammers, but
the exact selection arguments will be different, based on the details of the
sales emails.

Next, there is a sibling group of emails that are not undesirable, but not
for priority reading. This becomes a filing strategy. Each rule moves a
specific group to an appropriate other email folder for later perusal
without the ardour of doing the sorting.

Finally there is a cleanup rule that looks for Fwd. Fwd. as part of the
subject line. These messages are extraneous and redundant, and are then
cleaned out to avoid their self-propagating.

I hope this can be of some help. If you ever decide to visit the Montreal,
Qc Canada area, email me before for more info and let me know what city &
state you are coming from so I can pass on some appropriate travel
suggestions. These suggestions will vary by season, distance, airport
convenience and more. (I have over 1,000,000 Km. behind me driving alone in
Canada and the U.S.) Air travel in addition. Do not bother to get Canadian
cash in the U.S. It is much easier to handle this by Plastic (including some
ATM cards) or through any Chartered Canadian Bank here.

Climate varies from extremely cold to extremely hot and can be very humid.
Wide daily temperature variations are also not uncommon. Road signs depend
heavily on colour pictograms, so the French is not a big problem.

Apart from that, be prepared for a city which knows no national, racial,
linguistic or cultural majorities. The minorities are the majority. (50
languages in a day?) That itself attracts many people to live in Montreal.

Public transit is extensive clean and safe. In many cases it can be faster
than a taxi in the city. Much of this is part of the underground city.

Best regards,

Bruce M.