From: Carlo Strata on
Hi Everyone!

I don't know if you already discuss about this question, but I want to
understand if native code plugins are useful or they mainly slow their
own diffusion/adoption in all platforms...

I know that OpenOffice.org needs java virtual machine to run his db
engine (hsqldb - 100% Java Database).

So why we didn't deploy all plugins in the .jar format (bytecode)?

I said .xpi too in the mail's object because Mozilla too has the same
"problem", hasn't it?

The java jit (just-in-time) compiler has today very good performance so
that if we will choose the jar way we could have no human feel with
performance decline.

In this new way, the diffusion of the extensions (plugins) for all
platforms would be *wider* and their update *faster* for user of all
platforms.

Typically, extensions aren't deployed in the distro's (linux)
repositories and so they aren't compiled/builded for all distro's
supported platforms. Are they?

Sure, java is subject to reverse engineering/decompiling (who has said
"jad"?), but we can also say that most plugins are (already!) open source...

what do you think about?

Have a nice day,

Carlo

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org