From: frischmoutt on
TXP4 Asus Mobo w/ a K6-200, running Win98SE, w/ an USB ADSL modem, playing
the role of gateway / firewall.
I don't have the intention to modify my configuration, needing to monitor
the traffic. Changing the computer by a recent one is not an optimized
solution, I don't need power.

After 30 mn at 28�C room, the monitor began to display ASCII characters
everywhere, ending with a BSOD.

After 15 mn cooling, I rebooted. Same behaviour under DOS as well. I'm
highly suspecting the graphic adapter. A thorough visual inspection didn't
end with any issue. The capacitors aren't bulging but I can't say if they
are dry or not.

Prior to borrowing a bord to a colleague, I'd like to analyze more deeply
the situation.

Would the C-MOS be one of the reasons (the battery is a little bit above 3V)
?
What else might induce this display corruption ?

Thanks in advance

From: Paul on
frischmoutt wrote:
> TXP4 Asus Mobo w/ a K6-200, running Win98SE, w/ an USB ADSL modem, playing
> the role of gateway / firewall.
> I don't have the intention to modify my configuration, needing to monitor
> the traffic. Changing the computer by a recent one is not an optimized
> solution, I don't need power.
>
> After 30 mn at 28�C room, the monitor began to display ASCII characters
> everywhere, ending with a BSOD.
>
> After 15 mn cooling, I rebooted. Same behaviour under DOS as well. I'm
> highly suspecting the graphic adapter. A thorough visual inspection didn't
> end with any issue. The capacitors aren't bulging but I can't say if they
> are dry or not.
>
> Prior to borrowing a bord to a colleague, I'd like to analyze more deeply
> the situation.
>
> Would the C-MOS be one of the reasons (the battery is a little bit above 3V)
> ?
> What else might induce this display corruption ?
>
> Thanks in advance

Change graphics adapters ?

I see the board has PCI and ISA slots, so you'll likely
need a PCI adapter. I have a PCI FX5200 for such occasions.
The PCI adapter likely has its own memory on the video card,
so won't be wasting any system RAM. I think my FX5200 has
Win98 drivers, so the driver support goes back a bit.

The TXP4 doesn't have integrated graphics that I can see
in the manual.

Sometimes, a video card fails, because the cooling fan
stopped turning. Then the GPU overheats. Check the fan
of the video card, as a first step.

Paul
From: GMAN on
In article <4c3781b4$0$27613$ba4acef3(a)reader.news.orange.fr>, "frischmoutt" <frischmoutt(a)ici.com> wrote:
>TXP4 Asus Mobo w/ a K6-200, running Win98SE, w/ an USB ADSL modem, playing
>the role of gateway / firewall.
>I don't have the intention to modify my configuration, needing to monitor
>the traffic. Changing the computer by a recent one is not an optimized
>solution, I don't need power.
>
>After 30 mn at 28�C room, the monitor began to display ASCII characters
>everywhere, ending with a BSOD.
>
>After 15 mn cooling, I rebooted. Same behaviour under DOS as well. I'm
>highly suspecting the graphic adapter. A thorough visual inspection didn't
>end with any issue. The capacitors aren't bulging but I can't say if they
>are dry or not.
>
>Prior to borrowing a bord to a colleague, I'd like to analyze more deeply
>the situation.
>
>Would the C-MOS be one of the reasons (the battery is a little bit above 3V)
>?
>What else might induce this display corruption ?
>
>Thanks in advance

Is the fan functional on the video card?
From: frischmoutt on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
i1838m$vgd$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> frischmoutt wrote:
> > TXP4 Asus Mobo w/ a K6-200, running Win98SE, w/ an USB ADSL modem,
playing
> > the role of gateway / firewall.
> > I don't have the intention to modify my configuration, needing to
monitor
> > the traffic. Changing the computer by a recent one is not an optimized
> > solution, I don't need power.
> >
> > After 30 mn at 28�C room, the monitor began to display ASCII characters
> > everywhere, ending with a BSOD.
> >
> > After 15 mn cooling, I rebooted. Same behaviour under DOS as well. I'm
> > highly suspecting the graphic adapter. A thorough visual inspection
didn't
> > end with any issue. The capacitors aren't bulging but I can't say if
they
> > are dry or not.
> >
> > Prior to borrowing a bord to a colleague, I'd like to analyze more
deeply
> > the situation.
> >
> > Would the C-MOS be one of the reasons (the battery is a little bit above
3V)
> > ?
> > What else might induce this display corruption ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> Change graphics adapters ?
>
> I see the board has PCI and ISA slots, so you'll likely
> need a PCI adapter. I have a PCI FX5200 for such occasions.
> The PCI adapter likely has its own memory on the video card,
> so won't be wasting any system RAM. I think my FX5200 has
> Win98 drivers, so the driver support goes back a bit.
>
> The TXP4 doesn't have integrated graphics that I can see
> in the manual.
>
> Sometimes, a video card fails, because the cooling fan
> stopped turning. Then the GPU overheats. Check the fan
> of the video card, as a first step.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul,
You're a mine of information.

This computer has been lying for years in a corner. Used 4 to 12 hrs a day
depending on the day
Sometimes it had issues win 98SE but nothing of serious.
The graphis adapter is PCI Ram equipped , no fan on it. The CPU fan has been
replaced this winter and the dust removed.

The question: May other computer parts (C-MOS, RAM, chipset, ...) induce
such a problem considering that the computer is able to boot ?
The answer might change my way to proceed with the repair.

Bye

From: frischmoutt on

"GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> a �crit dans le message de news:
jLUZn.301429$ot7.271503(a)en-nntp-16.dc1.easynews.com...
> In article <4c3781b4$0$27613$ba4acef3(a)reader.news.orange.fr>,
"frischmoutt" <frischmoutt(a)ici.com> wrote:
> >TXP4 Asus Mobo w/ a K6-200, running Win98SE, w/ an USB ADSL modem,
playing
> >the role of gateway / firewall.
> >I don't have the intention to modify my configuration, needing to monitor
> >the traffic. Changing the computer by a recent one is not an optimized
> >solution, I don't need power.
> >
> >After 30 mn at 28�C room, the monitor began to display ASCII characters
> >everywhere, ending with a BSOD.
> >
> >After 15 mn cooling, I rebooted. Same behaviour under DOS as well. I'm
> >highly suspecting the graphic adapter. A thorough visual inspection
didn't
> >end with any issue. The capacitors aren't bulging but I can't say if they
> >are dry or not.
> >
> >Prior to borrowing a bord to a colleague, I'd like to analyze more deeply
> >the situation.
> >
> >Would the C-MOS be one of the reasons (the battery is a little bit above
3V)
> >?
> >What else might induce this display corruption ?
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >

> Is the fan functional on the video card?

Hi,
No fan at that time, the board has been bought in 1996 !
I also forget to mention that the computer case was always open and the
airflow around it wasn't disturbed.
The board probably died because of its age (~20000 hrs).

Before asking around for a board replacement, I'd like to focus on all the
possible causes.

Thanks