From: Andrew Hamilton on
The Samsung printer was getting all these "errors," which meant that I
had to power-cycle the printer with each print job. Unplugged the
Samsung and put it into a pile for the local e-recycling center.

So today I took delivery of my new HP printer. Love it. Network
enabled, has options for duplex, 250 page tray, etc., etc. And I
discovered that there is a slot for a memory upgrade. (Not sure if
this is a proprietary HP memory part or not.)

Ripped all the Samsung printer installs (multiple, for options like
duplex and landscape printing) and the Samsung printer port, and
installed the equivalents for the HP P2055. Only problem is that
sometimes the Add Printer wizard would seem to stall. Installing and
configuring this printer seems to take a lot of time relative to any
other printer I have experience with.

I was very happy with my ability to configure the printer via a
browser interface, because I have the printer on my home LAN.
From: Tim Okergit on
On 08/03/2010 08:59 PM, Andrew Hamilton wrote:

> the HP P2055.

I suppose it's this one?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/LaserJet/1/storefronts/CE459A%2523ABA

Recommended monthly volume
750 to 3000

Print languages
HP PCL 5c; HP PCL 6; HP postscript level 3 emulation with automatic
language switching

for... $325!!!

So you come here to tease us mere mortals with this heavenly machine? Go
to hell!

> Only problem is that
> sometimes the Add Printer wizard would seem to stall. Installing and
> configuring this printer seems to take a lot of time relative to any
> other printer I have experience with.

Try Linux and cut configuration time by half. OTOH, you generally don't
configure a printer all that often.
From: Brian Carroll on
In article <0jeh5695avq99ufd9fi8r01ffo421658kq(a)4ax.com>, Andrew
Hamilton <Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> So today I took delivery of my new HP printer. Love it.
> Network enabled, has options for duplex, 250 page tray, etc.,
> etc. And I discovered that there is a slot for a memory
> upgrade. (Not sure if this is a proprietary HP memory part or
> not.)

Last year I ordered a 256Mb memory card for my HP CP1515n printer
from MISCO. It cost under �10, less than 1/5 the price of the HP
part from the same dealer. It was invoiced as 'Kingston
HP/Compaq Equivalent' and was recommended by MISCO technical
support. It does not invalidate the HP warranty (which I have had
to invoke).

Perhaps you could get a similar service from MISCO for your HP
printer.

Adding the card to the printer was a trivial job.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com
From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:38:02 -0400, Tim Okergit <to(a)notme.com> wrote:

>Recommended monthly volume
> 750 to 3000

More than I really need, but it's nice to know that this system has
the "muscle" for intense work when I need it. I really like the crisp
output and the 35 ppm.

>Print languages
> HP PCL 5c; HP PCL 6; HP postscript level 3 emulation with automatic
>language switching

Ah, but there is a bug of sorts. If I have an Adobe PDF that is a
scanned image and I print that to Postscript, it seems to take about
15 minutes (yes, 15 minutes) per page. If I switch to PCL, I get the
same doc printed at normal speeds. Only downside is that PCL 6 seems
much more CPU-intensive than PS.

>for... $325!!!

Yeah, with free shipping from newegg!

>So you come here to tease us mere mortals with this heavenly machine? Go
>to hell!

Well, see above. :)

-AH

From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 12:36:43 +0100, Brian Carroll
<bric-nospam(a)argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <0jeh5695avq99ufd9fi8r01ffo421658kq(a)4ax.com>, Andrew
>Hamilton <Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>[Snip]
>
>> So today I took delivery of my new HP printer. Love it.
>> Network enabled, has options for duplex, 250 page tray, etc.,
>> etc. And I discovered that there is a slot for a memory
>> upgrade. (Not sure if this is a proprietary HP memory part or
>> not.)
>
>Last year I ordered a 256Mb memory card for my HP CP1515n printer
>from MISCO. It cost under �10, less than 1/5 the price of the HP
>part from the same dealer. It was invoiced as 'Kingston
>HP/Compaq Equivalent' and was recommended by MISCO technical
>support. It does not invalidate the HP warranty (which I have had
>to invoke).
>
>Perhaps you could get a similar service from MISCO for your HP
>printer.

Thanks. I'll try that. I'm also going to see if one of the 1 GB
memory sticks from my Lenovo laptop will work. They seem to be the
same size. Then I have an excuse to upgrade the memory in my laptop!

>Adding the card to the printer was a trivial job.

It seems that way.

-AH