From: Nil on
On 09 Aug 2010, WaIIy <WaIIy@(nft).invalid> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

>><http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/JavaUD1.png>
>
> That is really odd.
>
> My tabs are General-Java-Security-Advanced.
>
> Nothing about updating anywhere.
>
> I installed it offline, though.

A quick google search found me a few references to the same problem,
but no real solutions. It seems to be a bug. I'd try uninstalling java,
then reinstalling.
From: Daave on
WaIIy wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 22:02:24 -0400, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> WaIIy wrote:

>>> That is really odd.
>>>
>>> My tabs are General-Java-Security-Advanced.
>>>
>>> Nothing about updating anywhere.
>>>
>>> I installed it offline, though.
>>
>> I installed mine offline, but I have the Update tab.
>>

> I just double checked in case I was nuts. No update tab.

That doesn't mean you're not nuts. ;-)

From: Daave on
WaIIy wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 22:02:24 -0400, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> WaIIy wrote:

>>> That is really odd.
>>>
>>> My tabs are General-Java-Security-Advanced.
>>>
>>> Nothing about updating anywhere.
>>>
>>> I installed it offline, though.
>>
>> I installed mine offline, but I have the Update tab.
>>

> I just double checked in case I was nuts. No update tab.

Why not uninstall it? Then see if those instances of dllhost.exe go
away.

Then reinstall it. Then see if the Update tab is where it should be.

Then report back whether or not the dllhost.exe instances return. If so,
note which Web sites you recently visited use Java.

My guess is what was mentioned here is happening:

http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com:80/tasklist.php?File=DLLHost

"However, sometimes, if a Java COM object runs (this could happen if you
are browsing the Internet and come to a page which has Java code),
DLLHOST may not terminate, which is when you would see it in your Task
List."

That is, it would happen to *anyone* visiting that site (running XP and
IE, presumably).

From: Daave on
WaIIy wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:39:39 -0400, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> WaIIy wrote:

>>> I just double checked in case I was nuts. No update tab.
>>
>> Why not uninstall it? Then see if those instances of dllhost.exe go
>> away.
>>
>> Then reinstall it. Then see if the Update tab is where it should be.
>>
>> Then report back whether or not the dllhost.exe instances return. If
>> so, note which Web sites you recently visited use Java.
>>
>> My guess is what was mentioned here is happening:
>>
>> http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com:80/tasklist.php?File=DLLHost
>>
>> "However, sometimes, if a Java COM object runs (this could happen if
>> you are browsing the Internet and come to a page which has Java
>> code), DLLHOST may not terminate, which is when you would see it in
>> your Task List."
>>
>> That is, it would happen to *anyone* visiting that site (running XP
>> and IE, presumably).
>>

> Well, I uninstalled Java and amd still getting it. Dang, I'm been
> chasing my tail with the Java thing.

Malware is always a possibility. Rootkits can be very tricky!

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Restart loop after Windows repair
Next: Blue screen