From: David Mark on
On Jul 21, 3:30 am, Erwin Moller
<Since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_m...(a)spamyourself.com> wrote:
> William Wallace schreef:
>
> > Had to snip a lot of great info. Saved and absorbed. Dude, write a
> > book, I'll buy a copy.
>
> I second that.

Thanks Erwin.

> It is annoying to browse through books/websites that contain
> misinformation, bad practices, etc.

Isn't it? :)

> It is hard to become good at JavaScript/DOM without investing huge
> amounts of time into it.

Yes, due to all of the junk out there, it can take a lot of time to
figure out.

> So: Go Mark! Not for the money, do it for the Karma!

I'll see. I happened to hear from a representative at my prospective
publisher today. I'm trying to work out a deal that will benefit
everyone. Can't do it for the Karma alone though. :)
From: William Wallace on
On Jul 21, 7:47 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 3:30 am, Erwin Moller
> > So: Go Mark! Not for the money, do it for the Karma!
>
> I'll see.  I happened to hear from a representative at my prospective
> publisher today.  I'm trying to work out a deal that will benefit
> everyone.  Can't do it for the Karma alone though.  :)

Well, it looks nice on the CV/Resume too, and gets you exposure and
job offers from unexpected places.
From: David Mark on
On Jul 21, 3:43 pm, William Wallace <wbravehea...(a)googlemail.com>
wrote:
> On Jul 21, 7:47 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 21, 3:30 am, Erwin Moller
> > > So: Go Mark! Not for the money, do it for the Karma!
>
> > I'll see.  I happened to hear from a representative at my prospective
> > publisher today.  I'm trying to work out a deal that will benefit
> > everyone.  Can't do it for the Karma alone though.  :)
>
> Well, it looks nice on the CV/Resume too, and gets you exposure and
> job offers from unexpected places.

The problem is that I have my hands full as it is. But occasionally
find time to work on my library (also the source of job offers) and
the book. I've got enough raw material for a whole series of books,
but not enough time to organize it. And for raw material, much of it
is quite fresh (see the primers on my site). :)
From: williamc on
On 7/20/2010 4:50 PM, David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 20, 3:55 pm, William Wallace <wbravehea...(a)googlemail.com>
> wrote:

{snipped]

>> Dude, write a
>> book, I'll buy a copy.
>
> I get a lot of that. I have been working on a book on-again and off-
> again for years. The trouble is that there is not a lot of motivation
> as I can make a lot more money writing code than writing about
> code. ;)
>
> I suppose if some savvy publisher advanced me, oh, 50K or so, I'd get
> right on it. As it is, the one I talked to was in a completely
> different neighborhood (one that I prefer to avoid, at least after
> dark). :)
>
>> It seems that there are no good books.
>
> You are learning fast. But the publishers see "good books" as books
> that will sell the most copies. The representatives I dealt with were
> of the opinion that "everyone" is really excited about "these
> libraries" (e.g. jQuery). They sent me an outline of one to look at
> (and review) and I asked them if it was going to be a children's book
> and indicated that the only sort of jQuery book I would consider
> writing would be of the contrarian view. I think that and my high
> asking price turned them off, but I do still hear from them from time
> to time. Maybe some day they will realize that somebody has to take a
> chance and publish something fresh. I mean, in five or ten years, who
> is going to care about jQuery puff pieces?

LOL. I recently read the new Sitepoint book on JS, (The Art and Science
of JavaScript - one author per chapter), and was thinking how much more
entertaining it would have been if written by the regular posters from
this NG.

My mental title was "The Contrarians' Guide to Javascript".

--

--williamc
From: David Mark on
On Jul 27, 6:16 pm, williamc <te...(a)williamc.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/2010 4:50 PM, David Mark wrote:
>
> > On Jul 20, 3:55 pm, William Wallace <wbravehea...(a)googlemail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> {snipped]
>

> >> Dude, write a
> >> book, I'll buy a copy.
>
> > I get a lot of that.  I have been working on a book on-again and off-
> > again for years.  The trouble is that there is not a lot of motivation
> > as I can make a lot more money writing code than writing about
> > code.  ;)
>
> > I suppose if some savvy publisher advanced me, oh, 50K or so, I'd get
> > right on it.  As it is, the one I talked to was in a completely
> > different neighborhood (one that I prefer to avoid, at least after
> > dark).  :)
>
> >> It seems that there are no good books.
>
> > You are learning fast.  But the publishers see "good books" as books
> > that will sell the most copies.  The representatives I dealt with were
> > of the opinion that "everyone" is really excited about "these
> > libraries" (e.g. jQuery).  They sent me an outline of one to look at
> > (and review) and I asked them if it was going to be a children's book
> > and indicated that the only sort of jQuery book I would consider
> > writing would be of the contrarian view.  I think that and my high
> > asking price turned them off, but I do still hear from them from time
> > to time.  Maybe some day they will realize that somebody has to take a
> > chance and publish something fresh.  I mean, in five or ten years, who
> > is going to care about jQuery puff pieces?
>
> LOL. I recently read the new Sitepoint book on JS, (The Art and Science
> of JavaScript - one author per chapter), and was thinking how much more
> entertaining it would have been if written by the regular posters from
> this NG.
>
> My mental title was "The Contrarians' Guide to Javascript".

Depending on which posters, perhaps "The Competent Guide to
Javascript".