From: Mirko on
Hello,

cliki lists several libraries for automatic documentation generation.

Before downloading, installing and trying out every one of them, I am
looking for feedback regarding their current state: do they still
work, or are these abandoned projects.?

So if you are currently successfully using albert or clod or tinaa or
qbook or lispdoc, can you please raise your hand?

Thank you,

Mirko

From: Didier Verna on
Mirko <mirko.vukovic(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> cliki lists several libraries for automatic documentation generation.
>
> Before downloading, installing and trying out every one of them, I am
> looking for feedback regarding their current state: do they still
> work, or are these abandoned projects.?
>
> So if you are currently successfully using albert or clod or tinaa or
> qbook or lispdoc, can you please raise your hand?

FWIW: recently I tried (rather quickly) tinaa and cldoc. They both
compiled with more or less pain wrt dependencies, and they seem to be
more or less equivalent. I couldn't run cldoc on one package of mine
(apparently because it uses a readtable of its own) but tinaa worked
fine. Tinaa and cldoc seem to do a bit more than some other candidates
(for instance, you give them an asdf system and they figure out package
definitions as well).

There's one thing I'm missing from all libraries I tried though: I would
like cross-references between systems, packages and *files* as well. For
instance, Tinaa will display an asdf system, show you a list of files
belonging to it but that's it. I would like those files to be clickable
and get the list of definitions (classes, functions etc.) from them,
just as for packages.

I understand this might not be as trivial as the other features, and
also probably implementation-dependent, but...

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site: http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com
From: Mirko on
On Feb 19, 10:46 am, Didier Verna <did...(a)lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
> Mirko<mirko.vuko...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > cliki lists several libraries for automatic documentation generation.
>
> > Before downloading, installing and trying out every one of them, I am
> > looking for feedback regarding their current state: do they still
> > work, or are these abandoned projects.?
>
> > So if you are currently successfully using albert or clod ortinaaor
> > qbook or lispdoc, can you please raise your hand?
>
> FWIW: recently I tried (rather quickly)tinaaand cldoc. They both
> compiled with more or less pain wrt dependencies, and they seem to be
> more or less equivalent. I couldn't run cldoc on one package of mine
> (apparently because it uses a readtable of its own) buttinaaworked
> fine.Tinaaand cldoc seem to do a bit more than some other candidates
> (for instance, you give them an asdf system and they figure out package
> definitions as well).
>
> There's one thing I'm missing from all libraries I tried though: I would
> like cross-references between systems, packages and *files* as well. For
> instance,Tinaawill display an asdf system, show you a list of files
> belonging to it but that's it. I would like those files to be clickable
> and get the list of definitions (classes, functions etc.) from them,
> just as for packages.
>
> I understand this might not be as trivial as the other features, and
> also probably implementation-dependent, but...
>
> --
> Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.
>
> Scientific site:  http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
> Music (Jazz) site:http://www.didierverna.com

FWIW, I was unable (so far) to cleanly compile tinaa on cygwin+clisp
(I will try on sbcl next)

I did get albert going on sbcl, but I had to do two things:

1) use the iso8859.1 encoding in order for sbcl to read albert's lisp
files
2) change all the declarations of `simple-base-string' to `simple-
string'.

I think 2 was a consequence of 1.

(Maybe I could have changed the files encoding to UTF-8, but I had no
idea how to go about that).

Mirko
From: Slobodan Blazeski on
On Feb 19, 3:46 pm, Didier Verna <did...(a)lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
> Mirko <mirko.vuko...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > cliki lists several libraries for automatic documentation generation.
>
> > Before downloading, installing and trying out every one of them, I am
> > looking for feedback regarding their current state: do they still
> > work, or are these abandoned projects.?
>
> > So if you are currently successfully using albert or clod or tinaa or
> > qbook or lispdoc, can you please raise your hand?
>
> FWIW: recently I tried (rather quickly) tinaa and cldoc. They both
> compiled with more or less pain wrt dependencies, and they seem to be
> more or less equivalent. I couldn't run cldoc on one package of mine
> (apparently because it uses a readtable of its own) but tinaa worked
> fine. Tinaa and cldoc seem to do a bit more than some other candidates
> (for instance, you give them an asdf system and they figure out package
> definitions as well).
+1 for Tinaa though it can't recognize the structure names as the
method parameters.
Anyway since you're working on windows settle down for anyone that you
could make work. Or install linux + sbcl somewhere, Virtual machines
are fine if you don't have a spare hardware and generate documentation
from there. Using lisp on windows is PITA.

Slobodan