From: Andrei Popescu on
On Sb, 31 iul 10, 12:42:35, Thomas H. George wrote:

> 6. During the installation of the new kernel the fstab was modified to
> identify the hard drives by their UUID's. The system then could no
> longer be booted from MBR's installed by grub. The boot tried to load
> the new 2.6.32-5 kernel but failed when the root directory could not be
> found.

I assume this is grub1 (legacy). Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the
line:

# kopt=root=/dev/Xda other_kernel_opts

# kopt=root=UUID=uuid_of_root_part other_kernel_opts

and then run 'update-grub'

Regards,
Andrei
On Sb, 31 iul 10, 14:46:55, Thomas H. George wrote:
> It is grub2. I checked and the # kopt is in the new format and the
> UUID is that of the root partition. I ran update-grub just to be sure
> and now the system will boot from a MBR written by grub. The output of
> df -h is still the same mixed up mess.

Device names are not stable (not changing), only UUIDs and LABELs are.

Regards,
Andrei
On 20100731_225121, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sb, 31 iul 10, 14:46:55, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > It is grub2. I checked and the # kopt is in the new format and the
> > UUID is that of the root partition. I ran update-grub just to be sure
> > and now the system will boot from a MBR written by grub. The output of
> > df -h is still the same mixed up mess.
>
> Device names are not stable (not changing), only UUIDs and LABELs are.

UUID is not entirely stable. If during a new install you choose to have
a partition re-initialized, the partitioning software also writes a new,
different UUID into its superblock. For a label, you have the option of
giving the same value as it had before.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net

On Saturday 31 July 2010 11:42:35 Thomas H. George wrote:
> as compared to the output of df -h

> /dev/sdc1 71G 39G 29G 58% /
> tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /lib/init/rw
> udev 2.0G 252K 2.0G 1% /dev
> tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda5 44G 180M 42G 1% /ubuntu
> /dev/sda6 276G 43G 219G 17% /data
> /dev/sdb1 1.7G 35M 1.6G 3% /temp
> /dev/sdb5 27G 13G 13G 51% /storage
>
> Note that the root directory is shown on /dev/sdc1 which should be an
> empty cdrom drive! There are no entries for /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5 but
> their contents are shown on /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb5! The root directory
> is really on sdb1 and lilo knows this.

Do an (ls -ld /dev/[sh]d*) for me. I think you'll see there are no longer any
"hd" devices and that your cdrom and usb-key now have a different "sd" letter.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Andrei Popescu on
On Sb, 31 iul 10, 15:15:16, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100731_225121, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sb, 31 iul 10, 14:46:55, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > It is grub2. I checked and the # kopt is in the new format and the
> > > UUID is that of the root partition. I ran update-grub just to be sure
> > > and now the system will boot from a MBR written by grub. The output of
> > > df -h is still the same mixed up mess.
> >
> > Device names are not stable (not changing), only UUIDs and LABELs are.
>
> UUID is not entirely stable. If during a new install you choose to have
> a partition re-initialized, the partitioning software also writes a new,
> different UUID into its superblock. For a label, you have the option of
> giving the same value as it had before.

Of course UUID changes or re-format :) What I meant was that device
names can change for other reasons (I remember posts about machines
having different device names across reboots with the *same* kernel).

Regards,
Andrei