From: Kenneth Porter on
A vendor has supplied me with a DLL and .LIB of a C++ .NET wrapper around
their C API. No header file. My existing app is all unmanaged C++ with no
special MS libraries (like ATL and MFC). How do I hook this into my
existing solution?

With an unmanaged library I'd just #include the header and add the library
to the link inputs. What's the equivalent for a .NET library?
From: David Lowndes on
>A vendor has supplied me with a DLL and .LIB of a C++ .NET wrapper around
>their C API.

My immediate thought is - why - given that you have a native
application?

> No header file.

>How do I hook this into my existing solution?

Using current versions of VS you'd change your project properties to
add CLR support (the /clr option), the add a reference to their
managed DLL. You can then just start using things inside the namespace
of whatever they've provided - hint... the Object Browser will list
the things you've added as a reference to your project.

Dave
From: Tim Roberts on
Kenneth Porter <shiva.blacklist(a)sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>A vendor has supplied me with a DLL and .LIB of a C++ .NET wrapper around
>their C API. No header file. My existing app is all unmanaged C++ with no
>special MS libraries (like ATL and MFC). How do I hook this into my
>existing solution?

If you have a .DLL and a .LIB, then you do NOT have a .NET wrapper. You
have normal unmanaged code. Managed code does not use .LIB libraries. Do
this:

dumpbin /exports xxxxx.dll

If the exports are listed, then this is just a normal C/C++ DLL.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Kenneth Porter on
Tim Roberts <timr(a)probo.com> wrote in

> dumpbin /exports xxxxx.dll
>
> If the exports are listed, then this is just a normal C/C++ DLL.

No exports, just the 3 sections .reloc, .rsrc and .text. I suspect the .lib
file is a mistake.
From: Kenneth Porter on
David Lowndes <DavidL(a)example.invalid> wrote in

> My immediate thought is - why - given that you have a native
> application?

I thought it would be desirable to use their OOP packaging instead of a raw
C API. Unfortunately they don't provide a native set of classes, just .NET
ones.

> Using current versions of VS you'd change your project properties to
> add CLR support (the /clr option), the add a reference to their
> managed DLL. You can then just start using things inside the namespace
> of whatever they've provided - hint... the Object Browser will list
> the things you've added as a reference to your project.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.