From: Vitus Jensen on
Hej!

I would like to use my laptop without X, only virtual consoles and screen.
But backlight should be off while I'm away (long compiler jobs). With X
it's a simple xset dpms x y z, backlight switches off after x seconds.

Without X running I can't get it to work. Tried

vbetool dpms on
setterm -powersave on
setterm -powerdown 1

The display get's blanked but backlight is still on. Any ideas what to
try next?

Vitus

PS: gentoo, Thinkpad R51e

--
Vitus Jensen, Hannover, Germany, Earth, Universe (current)
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 00:57:16 -0400, Vitus Jensen <vitus(a)alter-schwede.de> wrote:

> The display get's blanked but backlight is still on. Any ideas what to
> try next?

I'd try "setterm -blank 10", replacing 10 with the number of
minutes you want, before the screen blanks.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Vitus Jensen on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 00:57:16 -0400, Vitus Jensen <vitus(a)alter-schwede.de>
> wrote:
>
>> The display get's blanked but backlight is still on. Any ideas what to
>> try next?
>
> I'd try "setterm -blank 10", replacing 10 with the number of
> minutes you want, before the screen blanks.

Well, this blanks the screen. Fills it with blank black characters. The
backlight is still full blast.

Even setterm -blank 10 -powerdown 10 doesn't disable the backlight (that's
the command laptop-mode uses). I now read that vesafb isn't capable to do
it and will try to get radeonfb working.

Vitus

--
Vitus Jensen, Hannover, Germany, Earth, Universe (current)
From: Vitus Jensen on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Vitus Jensen wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 00:57:16 -0400, Vitus Jensen <vitus(a)alter-schwede.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > The display get's blanked but backlight is still on. Any ideas what to
>> > try next?
>>
>> I'd try "setterm -blank 10", replacing 10 with the number of
>> minutes you want, before the screen blanks.
>
> Well, this blanks the screen. Fills it with blank black characters. The
> backlight is still full blast.
>
> Even setterm -blank 10 -powerdown 10 doesn't disable the backlight (that's
> the command laptop-mode uses). I now read that vesafb isn't capable to do it
> and will try to get radeonfb working.

Using radeonfb freezes the machine when Gnome starts. I haven't tried
to let setterm disable the backlight. Switching to uvesafb proved to be
the solution: backlight can be disabled in console mode and X still works
if I'm starting it.

Vitus

--
Vitus Jensen, Hannover, Germany, Earth, Universe (current)