From: Linus Torvalds on

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Dave Airlie wrote:

> The biggest missing feature [ ... ]

No, the biggest missing feature is that Fedora is _still_ shipping
Nouveau, and I'm _still_ not seeing Red Hat people actively trying to get
it merged into mainline.

What the _hell_ is going on?

Linus
From: Xavier Bestel on
On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 07:17 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Dave Airlie wrote:
> >
> > The biggest missing feature [ ... ]
>
> No, the biggest missing feature is that Fedora is _still_ shipping
> Nouveau, and I'm _still_ not seeing Red Hat people actively trying to get
> it merged into mainline.
>
> What the _hell_ is going on?

Last time they were asked that, they wanted to be free of changing their
kernel/userspace interface before upstreaming.

Xav

From: Linus Torvalds on

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Xavier Bestel wrote:

> Last time they were asked that, they wanted to be free of changing their
> kernel/userspace interface before upstreaming.

I've heard all the excuses. If it isn't ready, they shouldn't ship it to
millions of people. And if it's ready, they should work on merging it.

No excuses.

Linus
From: Alan Cox on
> Last time they were asked that, they wanted to be free of changing their
> kernel/userspace interface before upstreaming.

So put it in staging with a note to that effect. That'll also get it more
exposure and review.

Alan
From: Maarten Maathuis on
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds(a)linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Xavier Bestel wrote:
>>
>> Last time they were asked that, they wanted to be free of changing their
>> kernel/userspace interface before upstreaming.
>
> I've heard all the excuses. If it isn't ready, they shouldn't ship it to
> millions of people. And if it's ready, they should work on merging it.

You assume that Red Hat has full control over the project, which i
don't think is the case. The reason it isn't in staging yet (as far as
i know) is because of some questions over the copyright of some
(essential) microcode. Either the question needs to be answered, or it
has to be reverse engineered to the point that it's possible to
generate it.