From: Jim Pazarena on
tried to make mail/dspam and it exits nagging that it
requires MySQL 5.0 client, where I have MySQL 5.1

Is there a way to convince the dspam routine that
5.1 is acceptable? (presuming that it IS).

Thanks.

From: Sahil Tandon on
On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 13:51:51 -0700, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> tried to make mail/dspam and it exits nagging that it
> requires MySQL 5.0 client, where I have MySQL 5.1
>
> Is there a way to convince the dspam routine that
> 5.1 is acceptable? (presuming that it IS).

Yes, 'make config' and choose MYSQL51 (MYSQL50 is the default). Or:

% make WITH_MYSQL51=1 WITHOUT_MYSQL50=1

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)FreeBSD.org>

From: David DEMELIER on
2010/7/11 Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)freebsd.org>:
> On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 13:51:51 -0700, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>
>> tried to make mail/dspam and it exits nagging that it
>> requires MySQL 5.0 client, where I have MySQL 5.1
>>
>> Is there a way to convince the dspam routine that
>> 5.1 is acceptable? (presuming that it IS).
>
> Yes, 'make config' and choose MYSQL51 (MYSQL50 is the default).  Or:
>
> % make WITH_MYSQL51=1 WITHOUT_MYSQL50=1
>
> --
> Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)FreeBSD.org>

I think this :

..ifdef(WITH_MYSQL40)
WANT_MYSQL_VER= 40
#PKGNAMESUFFIX= -mysql40
..elifdef(WITH_MYSQL41)
WANT_MYSQL_VER= 41
#PKGNAMESUFFIX= -mysql41
..elifndef(WITHOUT_MYSQL50)
WANT_MYSQL_VER= 50
#PKGNAMESUFFIX= -mysql50
..elifdef(WITH_MYSQL51)
WANT_MYSQL_VER= 51
#PKGNAMESUFFIX= -mysql51
..elifdef(WITH_MYSQL55)
WANT_MYSQL_VER= 55
#PKGNAMESUFFIX= -mysql55
..endif

could be replaced by :

..if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
WANT_MYSQL_VER= 55 ...
..endif

Then if the user wants a different version he still can change using :
WITH_MYSQL_VER= 44.

Why don't keep it simple and simple? And why don't use things how they
should be used? I think there is still a lot of problems in many
ports. We must make a big KISS cleanup in the ports tree to make it as
good as NetBSD' pkgsrc.

Kind regards.

--
Demelier David

From: Sahil Tandon on
On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 21:28:56 +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:

> .if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
> WANT_MYSQL_VER= 55 ...
> .endif
>
> Then if the user wants a different version he still can change using :
> WITH_MYSQL_VER= 44.

That change by itself will not work because in bsd.database.mk:

.if defined(WITH_MYSQL_VER) && ${WITH_MYSQL_VER} != ${WANT_MYSQL_VER}
IGNORE= ...

> Why don't keep it simple and simple?

I am not sure what you mean. Complexity is not a goal of the project.
If you have an idea that does not forfeit existing functionality or
violate POLA, please submit it as a patch.

> And why don't use things how they should be used?

Once again, I am confused by your question. Please clarify your
meaning.

> I think there is still a lot of problems in many ports.

I think we all agree that there is room for improvement. Since you have
identified many problems, I look forward to your PRs.

> We must make a big KISS cleanup in the ports tree to make it as good
> as NetBSD' pkgsrc.

Please send PRs or provide specific details; general comments like the
above are not helpful.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)FreeBSD.org>

From: David DEMELIER on
2010/7/13 Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)freebsd.org>:
> On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 21:28:56 +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:
>
>> .if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
>> WANT_MYSQL_VER= 55 ...
>> .endif
>>
>> Then if the user wants a different version he still can change using :
>> WITH_MYSQL_VER= 44.
>
> That change by itself will not work because in bsd.database.mk:
>
>  .if defined(WITH_MYSQL_VER) && ${WITH_MYSQL_VER} != ${WANT_MYSQL_VER}
>  IGNORE= ...

Then, explain me why do both php5 and php5-pgsql have not
KNOBS/OPTIONS like dspam and work with this variable WITH_PGSQL_VER ?

$ pwd
/usr/ports/databases/php5-pgsql
$ WITH_PGSQL_VER=83 make all-depends-list
/usr/ports/lang/php5
[...]
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql83-client
[...]
$ WITH_PGSQL_VER=84 make all-depends-list
/usr/ports/lang/php5
[...]
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql84-client
[...]

>> Why don't keep it simple and simple?
>
> I am not sure what you mean.  Complexity is not a goal of the project.
> If you have an idea that does not forfeit existing functionality or
> violate POLA, please submit it as a patch.
>
>> And why don't use things how they should be used?
>
> Once again, I am confused by your question.  Please clarify your
> meaning.

Because I meant, if someone made these KNOBS, that's would suppose
they should be used. As shown just above it works with php5-pgsql.

So if a variable could be used to specify a specific version, it must
be used instead of a couple of option that set the package version. I
think WITH_MYSQL_VER and WITH_PGSQL_VER were made for that. (There is
one for apache too)

>> I think there is still a lot of problems in many ports.
>
> I think we all agree that there is room for improvement.  Since you have
> identified many problems, I look forward to your PRs.
>
>> We must make a big KISS cleanup in the ports tree to make it as good
>> as NetBSD' pkgsrc.
>
> Please send PRs or provide specific details; general comments like the
> above are not helpful.

Yes sometime I'm nasty with people, I'm sorry about that but when I
saw this port I just didn't understand.

I apologize for my english.

--
Demelier David