From: LORENZO on
i have 8 columns and the first is title. when i enter a title that is already
in my list, why do i have to go through the other 7 to get a notice that the
title is already on file? thanks for any help.
--
LORENZO
From: Jerry Whittle on
Access doesn't fcheck for some constraint violations until after it tries to
save the record.

You could have Access check if you used a form. You could do something like
a DLookup on an event like On Exit.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: John W. Vinson on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:18:01 -0800, LORENZO
<LORENZO(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have 8 columns and the first is title. when i enter a title that is already
>in my list, why do i have to go through the other 7 to get a notice that the
>title is already on file? thanks for any help.

If you're entering data directly into a Table...

DON'T.

Table datasheets are very limited. The function of a Table is data storage,
not data entry or searching or display. You can do some of these operations in
tables, but only in a "quick and dirty", very limited way.

You are better off using a Form to enter data. You can use tools like combo
boxes or listboxes on a form to display and select existing values; you can
also put "Before Update" events on a textbox to use DLookUp to check for a
duplicate, and can warn the user and cancel the entry if it finds one. Tables
don't have such events.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Tammy S. on
I have a database with a user ID which is unique and set up do not allow
duplicates. I did the same for the SSN so that two records can't have the
same user ID or SSN. I set this up in the table and based a form off of it
for data entery. Database user's cannont save records if either of these
fields contain data duplicated in another record.