From: Bernd on
Hi everyone,

i need to send e-mails with links to folders on a network drive ( Q: ) with
outlook 2007. I'd like to do this by copying the path from an open explorer
window and pasting it in the body of my mail. This works fine as long as i
access my folder via unc-path (e.g. \\server\share\folderXY). But if I use my
connected network drive, outlook doesn't recognize this as link. So if i
copy/paste something like q:\folderXY outlook does not convert this into a
link.

I know I could do this on my own, by right clicking and adding the link
manually. However, I have to make my users do this, and everything that is
more complicated than copy/paste will not work :-)

Is there any way to bring outlook 2007 to treat paths starting with any (or
a certain) drive letter similar to unc-paths?

I could also live with a solution allowing my users to right click the
folder in question and use a menu item from the context menu, e.g. 'copy as
link', allowing to paste it later into outlook as unc-path. In my environment
both unc-path and network drive are accessible from every client, so both
would work. I would strongly prefer any solution that allows us to use the
network drive though. That is because users might be irritated from seeing an
unc-path. To them the only known path is the one with the network drive.

Thank you for your help!

From: Bernd on
Both methods work great, thank you for that. But I'd like it even more easy.
Is there a way to tell Outlook 2007 to turn my pasted path into an hyperlink
automaticaly? There must be a definition of some kind saying "if it starts by
file:// oder \\ then make this a link". I'd just like to add my Networkdrive,
saying "if it starts with X:\ make this also a link". I just have no idea
where to look for those definitions. Or is this 'hard coded'?