From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Ant may or may not have written...

> Ever since I upgraded my Debian workstation's Kernel to v2.6.26 to
> v2.6.30 and rebooting after almost 159 days of uptime, I noticed this in
> my Debian's boot up and dmesg:
>
> [ 40.438588] e100 0000:01:09.0: firmware: requesting e100/d101m_ucode.bin
> [ 40.555920] e100: eth1: e100_request_firmware: Failed to load
> firmware "e100/d101m_ucode.bin": -2

That's -ENOENT; the userspace helper didn't find the requested file.

[snip]
> Do I need to be concerened about this error? Thank you in advance. :)

If it's working (presumably, it is), then all is well. Otherwise, you need to
install firmware-linux.

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + Burn less waste. Use less packaging. Waste less. USE FEWER RESOURCES.

I'm an absolute, off-the-wall fanatical moderate.
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 28 September 2009 03:08 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as Pascal Hambourg wrote...

> Hello,
>
> Ant a écrit :
>>
>> Thanks. firmware-linux package was it. I guess that network card was
>> too old to be included?
>
> No, it is because of the Debian policy : non-free blobs and firmwares
> included in the mainline kernel sources are moved away from the Debian
> kernel into separate non-free packages.

I'm afraid that statement is built upon a contradiction in terms. There
is no such thing as "non-free blobs and firmwares included in the
mainline kernel". The mainline kernel - i.e. the vanilla kernel as
supplied by Linus Torvalds & friends - is completely GPL'ed and
contains no binaries or firmware whatsoever, *because* it's GPL'ed.

Such binary blobs and firmware are added only at the distribution level,
and considering that Debian trie to be as politically correct as
possible - since those binaries would automatically "taint" the kernel
according to the GPL and would introduce non-backtraceable and non
fixable bugs - Debian will probably package those separately
as "non-free packages", that much is true. Yet the fact that they
exist in Debian is the responsibility of the Debian kernel maintainers
and has nothing to do with Linus & friends. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 28 September 2009 09:08 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as Pascal Hambourg wrote...

> Aragorn a écrit :
>> Pascal Hambourg wrote :
>>
>>> No, it is because of the Debian policy : non-free blobs and
>>> firmwares included in the mainline kernel sources are moved away
>>> from the Debian kernel into separate non-free packages.
>>
>> I'm afraid that statement is built upon a contradiction in terms.
>> There is no such thing as "non-free blobs and firmwares included in
>> the
>> mainline kernel". The mainline kernel - i.e. the vanilla kernel as
>> supplied by Linus Torvalds & friends - is completely GPL'ed and
>> contains no binaries or firmware whatsoever, *because* it's GPL'ed.
>
> Although the mainline kernel is GPL'ed, it does contain blobs and
> binary firmwares.

No, it does not. The kernel as supplied by Linus through kernel.org
contains source code only. Anything binary being supplied as part of
the kernel tree would violate the GPL, and Linus knows that.

From: John Hasler on

Aragorn writes:
> No, it does not.

Yes it does.

> The kernel as supplied by Linus through kernel.org contains source
> code only.

Not true. Many drivers include sourceless binary blobs. Some may be
data but others are indubitably executable code.

> Anything binary being supplied as part of the kernel tree would
> violate the GPL, and Linus knows that.

Anything done with the vendor's permission is ok with Linus. Debian
requires source.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 28 September 2009 09:33 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as John Hasler wrote...

> Aragorn writes:
>
>> The kernel as supplied by Linus through kernel.org contains source
>> code only.
>
> Not true. Many drivers include sourceless binary blobs.

Those would not be in the vanilla sources as supplied by Linus through
kernel.org, or at least, not insofar as I myself have seen. Pascal has
even pointed out such an alleged binary blob to me, which surprisingly
on my system after expanding the kernel tarball for 2.6.31 appears to
be a human-readable header to a GPL'ed driver, which is supplied in the
kernel tarball as source code.

> Some may be data but others are indubitably executable code.
>
>> Anything binary being supplied as part of the kernel tree would
>> violate the GPL, and Linus knows that.
>
> Anything done with the vendor's permission is ok with Linus.

Oh really? Then that must have changed very recently only, because as
far as I know Linus Torvalds strictly adheres to the GPLv2, which
explicitly forbids the linking of binary-only or even
non-GPL-compatible code against the kernel.

Mind you, this does not mean that one cannot run proprietary drivers on
one's system. It only means that by doing so, you would be tainting
the kernel, and last I read about it - which was not all too long ago -
Linus still strictly adheres to GPLv2. It's more permissive than
GPLv3, but it's still a version of the GPL.

Linus may not always agree with Richard Stallman, but even Linus knows
that violating the GPL(v2) would seriously jeopardize the integrity of
Linux as a FOSS project.