From: fung chung on
rywya

anoo wrote:

matching of Client Certificates with Server Certificates
22-Feb-07

Hello,
I wanted to know if the following properties of Server Certificates
to be matched with the Server Certificate?

1. Issuer
2. Issued
3. Thumbprint
4 Validity

1. if Private key in the Server Certificate should be associated with the
Client Certificate also?
2. If Server Certificate has only single purpose of "Server Authentication"
as displayed in its properties, can it be exported to .pfx/p7b format file to
be used as a Client Certificate. Please Help

Thanks in Advance

On Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:07 AM
anoo wrote:

matching of Client Certificates with Server Certificates
Hello,
I wanted to know if the following properties of Server Certificates
to be matched with the Server Certificate?

1. Issuer
2. Issued
3. Thumbprint
4 Validity

1. if Private key in the Server Certificate should be associated with the
Client Certificate also?
2. If Server Certificate has only single purpose of "Server Authentication"
as displayed in its properties, can it be exported to .pfx/p7b format file to
be used as a Client Certificate. Please Help

Thanks in Advance

On Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:34 AM
anoo wrote:

Hello, It should be I wanted to know if the following properties of
Hello,
It should be

I wanted to know if the following properties of Client Certificates
to be matched with the Server Certificate?

1. Issuer
2. Issued
3. Thumbprint
4 Validity

1. if Private key in the Server Certificate should be associated with the
Client Certificate also?
2. If Server Certificate has only single purpose of "Server Authentication"
as displayed in its properties, can it be exported to .pfx/p7b format file
be used as a Client Certificate. Please Help

Thanks in Advance

Thank you

"anoop" wrote:

On Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:19 PM
anoo wrote:

RE: matching of Client Certificates with Server Certificates
Hello,
I have the Following SSL LOG

System time: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:09:28 GMT
Connecting to 10.16.1.1:443
Connected
Handshake: 78 bytes sent
Handshake: 557 bytes received
Handshake: 182 bytes sent
Handshake: 43 bytes received
Handshake succeeded
Verifying server certificate, it might take a while...
Server certificate name: 10.16.1.1
Server certificate subject: CN=10.16.1.1
Server certificate issuer: CN=10.16.1.1
Server certificate validity: From 2/22/2007 9:37:41 PM To 11/17/2009 9:37:41
PM
HTTPS request:
GET / HTTP/1.0
Accept:*/*
HTTPS: 72 bytes of encrypted data sent
HTTPS: 25 bytes of encrypted data received
HTTPS: Server requested another handshake sequence
Handshake: 86 bytes sent
Handshake: 896 bytes received
Handshake: incomplete credentials, trying again
Handshake: 221 bytes sent
Handshake: 4482 bytes received
4423 bytes of app data was bundled with handshake data
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:09:28 GMT
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
<head>
a:link {font:8pt/11pt verdana; color:FF0000}
a:visited {font:8pt/11pt verdana; color:#4e4e4e}
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX">
<title>The page requires a client certificate</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text-html; charset=Windows-1252">
</head>
<script>
function Homepage(){
<!--
// in real bits, urls get returned to our script like this:
// res://shdocvw.dll/http_404.htm#http://www.DocURL.com/bar.htm
//For testing use DocURL =
"res://shdocvw.dll/http_404.htm#https://www.microsoft.com/bar.htm"
DocURL=document.URL;

//this is where the http or https will be, as found by searching for ://
but skipping the res://
protocolIndex=DocURL.indexOf("://",4);

//this finds the ending slash for the domain server
serverIndex=DocURL.indexOf("/",protocolIndex + 3);
//for the href, we need a valid URL to the domain. We search for the #
symbol to find the begining
//of the true URL, and add 1 to skip it - this is the BeginURL value. We
use serverIndex as the end marker.
//urlresult=DocURL.substring(protocolIndex - 4,serverIndex);
BeginURL=DocURL.indexOf("#",1) + 1;
urlresult=DocURL.substring(BeginURL,serverIndex);

//for display, we need to skip after http://, and go to the next slash
displayresult=DocURL.substring(protocolIndex + 3 ,serverIndex);
InsertElementAnchor(urlresult, displayresult);
}
function HtmlEncode(text)
{
return text.replace(/&/g, '&amp').replace(/'/g, '&quot;').replace(/</g,
'<').replace(/>/g, '>');
}
function TagAttrib(name, value)
{
return ' '+name+'="'+HtmlEncode(value)+'"';
}
function PrintTag(tagName, needCloseTag, attrib, inner){
document.write( '<' + tagName + attrib + '>' + HtmlEncode(inner) );
if (needCloseTag) document.write( '</' + tagName +'>' );
}
function URI(href)
{
IEVer = window.navigator.appVersion;
IEVer = IEVer.substr( IEVer.indexOf('MSIE') + 5, 3 );
return (IEVer.charAt(1)=='.' && IEVer >= '5.5') ?
encodeURI(href) :
escape(href).replace(/%3A/g, ':').replace(/%3B/g, ';');
}
function InsertElementAnchor(href, text)
{
PrintTag('A', true, TagAttrib('HREF', URI(href)), text);
}
//-->
</script>
<h1 style="COLOR:000000; FONT: 13pt/15pt verdana"><!--Problem-->The page
requires a client certificate</h1>

style="COLOR:000000; FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana">The page you are trying to

<hr color="#C0C0C0" noshade>

<ul>
<li>Click the <a href="javascript:location.reload()">
Refresh</a> button to try again, if you have installed your client
certificate.</li>
<li>If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please
contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone
number listed on the
<script>
<!--
if (!((window.navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") > 0) &&
(window.navigator.appVersion.charAt(0) == "2")))
{
Homepage();
}
//-->
</script>
home page.</li>
</ul>

<h2 style="font:8pt/11pt verdana; color:000000">HTTP 403.7 - Forbidden:
Client certificate required<br>
Internet Information Services</h2>

<hr color="#C0C0C0" noshade>

<ul>
<li>Background:<br>
This error occurs when the resource you are attempting to access requires
your browser to have a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) client certificate that the
server recognizes.</p>
<li>More information:<br>
<a
href="http://www.microsoft.com/ContentRedirect.asp?prd=iis&sbp=&pver=5.0&pid=&ID=403.7&cat=web&os=&over=&hrd=&Opt1=&Opt2=&Opt3="
target="_blank">Microsoft Support</a>
</li></p>
</ul>

HTTPS: server disconnected
Final handshake: 23 bytes sent successfully

Now please help me, how to solve this problem of Client Certificates.

Thank you

"anoop" wrote:

On Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:44 PM
elliot litz wrote:

Incomplete Credentials using client certificates
Did you ever resolve the message "incomplete Credentials" using client certificates. I am getting this message after trying a number of ways to configure ssl requiring client certificates. I'm running on my local win xp box using iis 5.1 and ie 7.0

On Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:29 AM
Daiane wrote:

daeg
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Monday, July 20, 2009 8:14 PM
Edward Wright wrote:

Certificates
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:34 PM
Jeannine Kennedy wrote:

private key association
This makes no sense to me I do not speak computer

Thanks for trying

Crypto Obfuscator for .NET - Product Review
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bf15c41b-6510-403e-9af8-f5fd987fafb1/crypto-obfuscator-for-ne.aspx