From: Suzanne S. Barnhill on
I'm not sure that would help. Em dashes are already nonbreaking *before*;
it's only after the em dash that you can get a break, and inserting the
nonbreak wouldn't help there, either, I suspect, though I haven't tested it.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

From: MinervaReef on
I tried the double minus signs and they did look good in TNR 12, however my
novel is set in 11pt Georgia and they separated when I converted to that
font. The CTRL-Shift+- seemed to work well. I'm not sure I yet fully
understand how to implement Pam's suggestion. All three of you are testing
the limits of my experience with the finer points of Word. Pam if you could
give me just a tad more detail, I'd like to try your suggestion, too. Thanks
to all of you.

From: Pesach Shelnitz on
Hi,

The horizontal bar (hexadecimal Unicode 2015), which is nearly identical to
an em dash, is a nonbreaking character and can serve as a nonbreaking em
dash.

The no-width non-break (zero width joiner) unfortunately does not work with
an em dash, and all the other suggestions of combining other characters
invariably run into problems when you use different fonts and different font
sizes.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

From: Peter T. Daniels on
"Horizontal bar" is somewhat longer than an em-dash, and in some fonts
is at a different height from the em-dash. According to the Unicode
manual, it's intended for introducing dialogue in the French fashion
(which accounts for its nonbreaking status). It is found in many,
though not all, typical text fonts.

From: Suzanne S. Barnhill on
In Georgia you would need to condense the minus signs by more than 0.6 pt.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)