From: ska on
mtwill wrote:

> When sendmail rejects a message is generates a bounce message which
> causes back scatter. I would like to just reject the message before I
> receive it. This way it will not generate the bounce message.

When you telnet to your MTA from the outside, say, sort of

telnet mta 25
helo hostname
mail from: <me(a)example.net>
rctp to: <"| false"@example.net>
data
Subject: test
..

what responses to you get?
What responses to you get, if you use a non-existant recipient, e.g.:
rctp to: <non-existant(a)example.net>

-ska
From: mtwill on
On Apr 9, 3:07 am, ska <s...(a)mail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:
> mtwill wrote:
> > When sendmail rejects a message is generates a bounce message which
> > causes back scatter.  I would like to just reject the message before I
> > receive it.  This way it will not generate the bounce message.
>
> When you telnet to your MTA from the outside, say, sort of
>
> telnet mta 25
> helo hostname
> mail from: <m...(a)example.net>
> rctp to: <"| false"@example.net>
> data
> Subject:  test
> .
>
> what responses to you get?
> What responses to you get, if you use a non-existant recipient, e.g.:
> rctp to: <non-exist...(a)example.net>
>
> -ska

For clarification in case some one comes to this page the above
command "rctp to:" should be "rcpt to:" for it to work. Found out
through trial and error.

I believe that I have solved the problem. We are using ldap_routing
to route message back to out mail server. I have ldap server crash a
little bit ago. In rebuilding the ldaproute table not all the domains
made it in.

For domain that are in the ldaproute table when I do the above test I
get a "User unknown". For the domains that are not in the table it
accepts the email and then bounces them back.

Thanks for the help. It put me in the right direction.

Myron
From: Claus Aßmann on
ska wrote:

> helo hostname