From: mtwill on
I have noticed lately that a spammer has been sending messages to my
mail server that start with the pipe ( | ) special character. This
cause sendmail to bounce back a reply with a 550 error " Cannot mail
directly to programs".
Is there a way that I can reject the message if the email address
that it is sent to begins with a pipe ( | ).

Thanks

Myron
From: mikea on
mtwill <myron(a)wcstc.com> wrote in <91ead55b-892a-46aa-8fc1-5d61e53ac06d(a)k13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>:
> I have noticed lately that a spammer has been sending messages to my
> mail server that start with the pipe ( | ) special character. This
> cause sendmail to bounce back a reply with a 550 error " Cannot mail
> directly to programs".
> Is there a way that I can reject the message if the email address
> that it is sent to begins with a pipe ( | ).

Install and configure a milter that can check for the text that you find
objectionable.

I use milter-regex for such things, and it works nicely for me.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea(a)mikea.ath.cx
From: Robert Bonomi on
In article <91ead55b-892a-46aa-8fc1-5d61e53ac06d(a)k13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
mtwill <myron(a)wcstc.com> wrote:
>I have noticed lately that a spammer has been sending messages to my
>mail server that start with the pipe ( | ) special character. This
>cause sendmail to bounce back a reply with a 550 error " Cannot mail
>directly to programs".

That's not just a 'spammer', that is an attempt to _break_into_ your
system, probably for the purposes of making it part of a 'botnet'.

>Is there a way that I can reject the message if the email address
>that it is sent to begins with a pipe ( | ).

What do you want to do _beyond_ what is already being done? Sendmail
*already* rejects mail to any such address, with the error indication
shown.

From: mtwill on
On Apr 8, 2:32 pm, bon...(a)host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
> In article <91ead55b-892a-46aa-8fc1-5d61e53ac...(a)k13g2000yqe.googlegroups..com>,
>
> mtwill  <my...(a)wcstc.com> wrote:
> >I have noticed lately that a spammer has been sending messages to my
> >mail server that start with the pipe ( | ) special character.  This
> >cause sendmail to bounce back a reply with a 550 error " Cannot mail
> >directly to programs".
>
> That's not just a 'spammer', that is an attempt to _break_into_ your
> system, probably for the purposes of making it part of a 'botnet'.
>
> >Is there a way that I can reject the message if  the email address
> >that it is sent to begins with a pipe ( | ).
>
> What do you want to do _beyond_ what is already being done?  Sendmail
> *already* rejects mail to any such address, with the error indication
> shown.
When sendmail rejects a message is generates a bounce message which
causes back scatter. I would like to just reject the message before I
receive it. This way it will not generate the bounce message.

From: D. Stussy on
"mtwill" <myron(a)wcstc.com> wrote in message
On Apr 8, 2:32 pm, bon...(a)host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
> In article
<91ead55b-892a-46aa-8fc1-5d61e53ac...(a)k13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,

> mtwill <my...(a)wcstc.com> wrote:
> >I have noticed lately that a spammer has been sending messages to my
> >mail server that start with the pipe ( | ) special character. This
> >cause sendmail to bounce back a reply with a 550 error " Cannot mail
> >directly to programs".
>
> That's not just a 'spammer', that is an attempt to _break_into_ your
> system, probably for the purposes of making it part of a 'botnet'.
>
> >Is there a way that I can reject the message if the email address
> >that it is sent to begins with a pipe ( | ).
>
> What do you want to do _beyond_ what is already being done? Sendmail
> *already* rejects mail to any such address, with the error indication
> shown.
When sendmail rejects a message is generates a bounce message which
causes back scatter. I would like to just reject the message before I
receive it. This way it will not generate the bounce message.

-----
By default, sendmail issues a reject message, not a bounce NDR. If you're
generating bounces, then you have broken your configuration. Scrap it and
start over, because you're doing something wrong.