From: David Brown on
On 08/06/2010 05:07, Uniden wrote:
> In article<5uednUfxid8R5JDRnZ2dnUVZ8vgAAAAA(a)lyse.net>,
> david.brown(a)hesbynett.removethisbit.no says...
>> Uniden wrote:
>>> I'm trying to find a definitive source for the differences between POP
>>> and POP3 email clients. Googling has turned up a LOT of noise on the
>>> subject.
>>>
>>> Essentially, can I assume for basic operation that they have no
>>> differences? I hope to implement a client like this:
>>> http://www.instructables.com/id/Mail-Light-Blink-LEDs-via-USB-to-show-
>>> you-have-ma/
>>> without having to account for POP/POP3 differences. REALbasic (program
>>> source) doesn't indicate that a POP or POP3 service has to be treated
>>> any different. The client will operate LEDs based on mail available in
>>> the accounts.
>>
>> POP3 is the current version of POP (POP4 has been proposed, but there is
>> no software that uses it).
>
> Thanks, all! I'll just have to see if the POPing that my development
> tool does is OK for POP and if that OK stuff is in a "backwards
> compatible"-ish thingy for POP3.
>
> (Probably more work figuring out exactly what REALbasic does.)

You can assume that there are no servers anywhere with a version of POP
other than POP3.

From: Uniden on
In article <4c0dfa54$0$4162$8404b019(a)news.wineasy.se>,
david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com says...

> You can assume that there are no servers anywhere with a version of POP
> other than POP3.

Even better!
From: Raliman on
>I'm trying to find a definitive source for the differences between POP
>and POP3 email clients. Googling has turned up a LOT of noise on the
>subject.
>
>Essentially, can I assume for basic operation that they have no
>differences? I hope to implement a client like this:
>http://www.instructables.com/id/Mail-Light-Blink-LEDs-via-USB-to-show-
>you-have-ma/
>without having to account for POP/POP3 differences. REALbasic (program
>source) doesn't indicate that a POP or POP3 service has to be treated
>any different. The client will operate LEDs based on mail available in
>the accounts.

The POP (v1, v2, v3) protocol is described in the next documents:
RFC 918
RFC 937
RFC 1081
RFC 1939