From: Uniden on
I'm trying to find a definitive source for the differences between POP
and POP3 email clients. Googling has turned up a LOT of noise on the
subject.

Essentially, can I assume for basic operation that they have no
differences? I hope to implement a client like this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Mail-Light-Blink-LEDs-via-USB-to-show-
you-have-ma/
without having to account for POP/POP3 differences. REALbasic (program
source) doesn't indicate that a POP or POP3 service has to be treated
any different. The client will operate LEDs based on mail available in
the accounts.
From: D Yuniskis on
Uniden wrote:
> I'm trying to find a definitive source for the differences between POP
> and POP3 email clients. Googling has turned up a LOT of noise on the
> subject.
>
> Essentially, can I assume for basic operation that they have no
> differences? I hope to implement a client like this:
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Mail-Light-Blink-LEDs-via-USB-to-show-
> you-have-ma/
> without having to account for POP/POP3 differences. REALbasic (program
> source) doesn't indicate that a POP or POP3 service has to be treated
> any different. The client will operate LEDs based on mail available in
> the accounts.

RTFM -- you should be able to come up with the
latest POP3 and POP RFC's in a few minutes with google...
Then, see what aspects of the protocols you are relying on and
how (if at all) they changed
From: Jim Stewart on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol

"Related Requests for Comments" gives the specific
RFC's for POP, POP3 and various revisions. Those
would be your definitive sources.

From: David Brown on
Uniden wrote:
> I'm trying to find a definitive source for the differences between POP
> and POP3 email clients. Googling has turned up a LOT of noise on the
> subject.
>
> Essentially, can I assume for basic operation that they have no
> differences? I hope to implement a client like this:
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Mail-Light-Blink-LEDs-via-USB-to-show-
> you-have-ma/
> without having to account for POP/POP3 differences. REALbasic (program
> source) doesn't indicate that a POP or POP3 service has to be treated
> any different. The client will operate LEDs based on mail available in
> the accounts.

POP3 is the current version of POP (POP4 has been proposed, but there is
no software that uses it).
From: Uniden on
In article <5uednUfxid8R5JDRnZ2dnUVZ8vgAAAAA(a)lyse.net>,
david.brown(a)hesbynett.removethisbit.no says...
> Uniden wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a definitive source for the differences between POP
> > and POP3 email clients. Googling has turned up a LOT of noise on the
> > subject.
> >
> > Essentially, can I assume for basic operation that they have no
> > differences? I hope to implement a client like this:
> > http://www.instructables.com/id/Mail-Light-Blink-LEDs-via-USB-to-show-
> > you-have-ma/
> > without having to account for POP/POP3 differences. REALbasic (program
> > source) doesn't indicate that a POP or POP3 service has to be treated
> > any different. The client will operate LEDs based on mail available in
> > the accounts.
>
> POP3 is the current version of POP (POP4 has been proposed, but there is
> no software that uses it).

Thanks, all! I'll just have to see if the POPing that my development
tool does is OK for POP and if that OK stuff is in a "backwards
compatible"-ish thingy for POP3.

(Probably more work figuring out exactly what REALbasic does.)
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Which is the better method to use
Next: PXE details