From: msrobin on
I set up some different accounts about a year ago on my Outlook 2007. I had
hotmail accounts that auto downloaded. I have not used the email download or
the accounts for a long time. Today, I logged into Outlook and could see all
my old emails - that were important!!! I went to get new emails downloaded
from various accounts. I was prompted to sync. I agreed. Now my old emails
are completely gone! I think they are in an .ost file, I see one on my hard
drive.

I cannot see the original emails online in my windows live accounts, nor can
I see them in my regular folder. My system says it doesn't recognize .ost.

Help!!! I really do need the old emails! Thanks
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"msrobin" <msrobin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I set up some different accounts about a year ago on my Outlook 2007. I had
> hotmail accounts that auto downloaded. I have not used the email download
> or
> the accounts for a long time. Today, I logged into Outlook and could see
> all
> my old emails - that were important!!! I went to get new emails downloaded
> from various accounts. I was prompted to sync. I agreed. Now my old
> emails
> are completely gone! I think they are in an .ost file, I see one on my hard
> drive.
>
> I cannot see the original emails online in my windows live accounts, nor can
> I see them in my regular folder. My system says it doesn't recognize .ost.
>
> Help!!! I really do need the old emails! Thanks

If you deleted them from the Windows Live server and then synced, they are
truly gone. When you have a Hotmail account defined in Outlook, it should
always reflect the contents of the server. That's the way it's supposed to
work. Sounds like you'd better restore the important messages form your most
recent backup. If you don't make backups, then you must not think your data
is very important.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]