From: Duddits on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:52:03 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
<REMOVETHISbadgolferman(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>What do you recommend for encryption of a removal hard drive on a
>Windows XP system? This drive moves from computer to computer so I
>would like to keep the application on the removable drive if possible.
>Maybe something that pops up for authentication when the drive is
>accessed.

I like/use FreeOTFE
Features include:

* Highly portable - Not only does FreeOTFE offer "portable mode",
eliminating the need for it to be installed before use, it also offers
FreeOTFE Explorer - a system which allows FreeOTFE volumes to be
accessed not only without installing any software, but also on PCs
where no administrator rights are available. This makes it ideal for
use (for example) with USB flash drives, and when visiting Internet
Caf�s (AKA Cybercaf�s), where PCs are available for use, but only as a
"standard" user.

etc, etc

http://www.freeotfe.org/

regards

Dud
--
Trolls only live if you feed them!
From: badgolferman on
VanguardLH wrote:

>badgolferman wrote:
>
>> CoMa wrote:

>>> TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/
>>>
>>> Maybe you could try in portable mode
>>> http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=truecrypt-portable
>>
>> Okay, I looked at the instructions and it seems quite complicated
>>and involved in setting up. Isn't there something easier to set
>>up?
>
>If you mean is it powerful then yes.
>
>How difficult can it be to copy just one .exe file? Geez. They even
>give you a wizard (Tools -> Traveler Disk Setup menu in installed
>program).
>
>Portable Mode http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/truecrypt-portable
>
>If copying a file or running a wizard is beyond your abilities then go
>get an encrypted USB flash drive. However, you'll probably have to
>read its manual to use it.

It's not the installation, it is the setting up of volumes and all the
other options required to make it run properly.

I have found this product more intuitive to use than TrueCrypt.

http://www.jetico.com/encryption-bestcrypt-traveller/

From: The Insulting Texting Parrot on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:26:16 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> It's not the installation, it is the setting up of volumes and all the
> other options required to make it run properly.
>
> I have found this product more intuitive to use than TrueCrypt.
>
> http://www.jetico.com/encryption-bestcrypt-traveller/

*LOL*

Bear Buttocks fav. That'll tell you sumpin'

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwwGHyesy0g
From: badgolferman on
The Insulting Texting Parrot wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:26:16 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:
>
>> It's not the installation, it is the setting up of volumes and all
>>the other options required to make it run properly.
>>
>> I have found this product more intuitive to use than TrueCrypt.
>>
>> http://www.jetico.com/encryption-bestcrypt-traveller/
>
>LOL
>
>Bear Buttocks fav. That'll tell you sumpin'

Oh Lord !!! Okay, I'll try to figure out TrueCrypt.......
From: VanguardLH on
badgolferman wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> badgolferman wrote:

>>> I looked at the instructions (for TrueCrypt) and it seems quite
>>> complicated and involved in setting up.
>>
>> How difficult can it be to copy just one .exe file? They even give
>> you a wizard (Tools -> Traveler Disk Setup menu in installed
>> program).
>
> It's not the installation, it is the setting up of volumes and all
> the other options required to make it run properly.

Okay. I thought "setting up" meant to install versus using the
product.

> I have found this product more intuitive to use than TrueCrypt.
> http://www.jetico.com/encryption-bestcrypt-traveller/

You still have to define container files in BestCrypt just like you do
in TrueCrypt. As with TrueCrypt, BestCrypt has lots of options on how
you want to encrypt. With either product, the defaults should be
sufficient for your use. It's when you want to explore later as to what
other options you want to employ that it gets more "complicated" (i.e.,
you jumped into a learning curve to explore the product).

"Since the software (BestCrypt) is designed as a simple and lite
application, its New container dialog window requires the user to enter
minimal information to create new container - only name, path and size."

Well, in TrueCrypt, I click on "Create Volume" which starts a wizard.
All I have to enter there is the "name, path and size", too. Not quite.
They forgot to add that when you create the .jbc container file that you
will get prompted for a password. After all, what good is a fancy door
lock if you don't actually lock it? So their description is incomplete
and instead should be "name, path, size, drive letter assignment,
format, and password". Well, this is the same for TrueCrypt's wizard.
You can just use all the defaults presented by TrueCrypt but eventually
you'll find some things you may want to change, like using NTFS instead
of FAT. Until you decide to learn about the options, just use the
defaults for them.

BestCrypt Traveller is a stripped down version of BestCrypt so it is
probably what you are looking for. TrueCrypt is the full-blown version
whether you install it or use it portable.

Filesize:
BCTraveller.exe = 2.24MB
Truecrypt.exe = 1.4MB

Memory consumption:
BestCrypt = 3.5MB
TrueCrypt = 4.9MB

TrueCrypt is smaller for its filesize (less consumption on your USB
flash drive but not a big difference). TrueCrypt consumes a tad more
memory but then it is the full-blown version rather than the crippled
version of BestCrypt. You get FAR FEWER choices with BestCrypt
Traveller than with TrueCrypt but that might be want you want.
BestCrypt Traveller is a stripped down version of BestCrypt so there are
far less choices for options. Having choices sometimes means having to
learn what they mean, or you can just use the defaults and not learn
anything new.

I think the real problem is TrueCrypts window is more "busy" than for
BestCrypt Traveller. You wanted a simple UI with no or few options
(i.e., only the minimal set of options ever displayed in the UI).
That's okay, too, since not everyone wants all the bells and whistles or
of making decisions that they don't understand or don't want to learn
about. They just want to use-and-go and don't want to know about
anything else. Sometimes less is more.