From: badgolferman on
What do you recommend for encryption of a removal hard drive on a
Windows XP system? This drive moves from computer to computer so I
would like to keep the application on the removable drive if possible.
Maybe something that pops up for authentication when the drive is
accessed.
From: CoMa on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:52:03 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
<REMOVETHISbadgolferman(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>What do you recommend for encryption of a removal hard drive on a
>Windows XP system? This drive moves from computer to computer so I
>would like to keep the application on the removable drive if possible.
>Maybe something that pops up for authentication when the drive is
>accessed.

TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/

Maybe you could try in portable mode
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=truecrypt-portable

--

Regards
CoMa

http://hubbabub.deviantart.com/
From: Lem on
Truecrypt free awesome program!
http://www.truecrypt.org/

From: badgolferman on
CoMa wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:52:03 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
><REMOVETHISbadgolferman(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What do you recommend for encryption of a removal hard drive on a
>>Windows XP system? This drive moves from computer to computer so I
>>would like to keep the application on the removable drive if
>>possible. Maybe something that pops up for authentication when the
>>drive is accessed.
>

>TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/
>
>Maybe you could try in portable mode
>http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=truecrypt-portable

Okay, I looked at the instructions and it seems quite complicated and
involved in setting up. Isn't there something easier to set up?
From: VanguardLH on
badgolferman wrote:

> CoMa wrote:
>
>> badgolferman wrote:
>>
>>> What do you recommend for encryption of a removal hard drive on a
>>> Windows XP system? This drive moves from computer to computer so I
>>> would like to keep the application on the removable drive if
>>> possible.
>>
>> TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/
>>
>> Maybe you could try in portable mode
>> http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=truecrypt-portable
>
> Okay, I looked at the instructions and it seems quite complicated and
> involved in setting up. Isn't there something easier to set up?

If you mean is it powerful then yes.

How difficult can it be to copy just one .exe file? Geez. They even
give you a wizard (Tools -> Traveler Disk Setup menu in installed
program).

Portable Mode http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/truecrypt-portable

If copying a file or running a wizard is beyond your abilities then go
get an encrypted USB flash drive. However, you'll probably have to
read its manual to use it.