From: The Shadow on

> "Mindraker" <anon(a)anon.com> wrote in message
>> Why is encryption forbidden on HAM/amateur radio according to FCC
>> regulations? This makes no sense at all to me. If the FCC is truly
>> interested in increasing the appeal of HAM radio to the current
>> generation,

From Wikipedia
In cryptography, encryption is the process of obscuring information to make
it unreadable without special knowledge, sometimes referred as scrambling.

Why would you use this in Amateur Radio - for what purpose?

On the internet it is necessary to protect various aspects of Internet
e-commerce.

Amateur Radio cannot be used for business purposes.

Do you really believe that laws and regulations have to "make sense"?

Lamont

From: mgaerman on
On May 2, 6:11 pm, "Mindraker" <a...(a)anon.com> wrote:
> Why is encryption forbidden on HAM/amateur radio according to FCC
> regulations?

what exactly is forbidden?

is it the encryption of the transmitted signal,
or
the broadcast of audible ciphertext ?

if the broadcast of ciphertext is permitted,
then there is a doable workaround:

[1] ascii armor the ciphertext

[2] use an 'alpha bravo charly ...' type of convention for reading the
ascii characters

[3] use speech to text on the receiving end,
and a laptop to render the text back into the ascii characters,
and then decrypt

[4] on the transmitting end,
use a text to speech program to read the ciphertext from the laptop

[5] a simple script can be used to transform the characters into the
corresponding words and back again

the entire process can be automated,

and if you want to get cute,
there are some 'very interesting' digital voices available ;-)

http://software.techrepublic.com.com/download.aspx?docid=234447
http://www.download3k.com/MP3-Audio-Video/Utilities-Plug-Ins/Download-Alive-Text-to-Speech.html
http://www.digitalfuturesoft.com/texttospeechproductsforpocketpc.php
http://www.textspeechpro.com/
http://www.softsea.com/review/Natural-Voice-Text-to-Speech-Reader.html

as well as the free microsoft text to speech engines, and many others

so,
the radio operators can get on,
make whatever small talk they want,
and then say something like,

"have been trying out some text to speech voice software,
what do you think of this one?"

and transmit one voice,
and the receiver can respond,

" ok,
this is the voice i'm trying out"

and then read the decrypted text on their laptops

vedaal

From: Mindraker on
A HAM regulation reads "25.2A Transmissions between amateur stations of
different countries shall not be encoded for the purpose of obscuring their
meaning, except for control signals exchanged between earth command stations
and the space station in the amateur satellite service."
So, one can use Q-codes, 10-codes, and morse code, for example, for one is
not intentionally hiding the meaning, but simply using a different means of
communication that may be more appropriate for speed, hardware, bandwidth,
etc. Alice can send the message to Bob using morse, but Charlie can listen
in and figure it out (if Charlie has learned morse).
But, for example, Alice using a OTP with Bob to send information on 50 MHz
would be forbidden -- the meaning is obscured -- Charlie can't figure it
out, for Charlie does not know the OTP. However, Bob would be
(theoretically) more inclined to use HAM radio if he could tell Alice his
secret love messages without fear of Charlie ever figuring out what they
actually said. (Of course, there are the logistical problems, like having
to identify yourself every 10 minutes on the radio with your call sign, and
other annoying nuisances.)
-Mindraker

From: Bob D. on
A conversation that needs to be encrypted does not belong on the ham bands!
IMHO, encryption and scrambling would totally destroy amateur radio as both
a hobby and a public service! I don't even like PL on FM (slippery slope).
Suppose you're in an emergency situation. You hear a QSO on a repeater but
you can't break in because you don't know the frequency of the subaudible
tone (or you have an old rig). If you want a privacy use the telephone.

--
Bob D. ND9B

From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Sat, 5 May 2007 17:39:52 -0400) it happened "Bob D."
<bobmgtd(a)insightbb.com> wrote in
<5IydnV5TB9g4ZKHbnZ2dnUVZ_vWtnZ2d(a)insightbb.com>:

>A conversation that needs to be encrypted does not belong on the ham bands!
>IMHO, encryption and scrambling would totally destroy amateur radio as both
>a hobby and a public service!

I have to disagree.
For example in case of occupation by a Bad Invader amateurs could transfer
encrypted data 'as a public service', and the ability to decrypt enemy data
(having experience with encryption methods and the equipment for that) is
a great public service to your country.
Also in case of natural disasters to be able to send data about persons without
just anybody from the press being able to listen in and publish it, is a _must_.
EU some years ago recommended everybody encrypts their email, sure I have
heard amateurs discussion things that were in fact about their jobs that
others should _not_ hear (industrial espionage).
I am not saying amateur radio (whatever that means to you) _must_ be encrypted.
But encryption is just a part of modern communications that they should master.
Just like it is a no no to only be able to decode CW, you need to be able to do
some more modulation systems like SSB, etc.. requiring special equipment anyways.
So encryption just adds a bit overhead.