From: Mindraker on
Why is encryption forbidden on HAM/amateur radio according to FCC
regulations? This makes no sense at all to me. If the FCC is truly
interested in increasing the appeal of HAM radio to the current generation,
it should stop fretting about whether or not people have to learn morse
code, and start worrying about things like why you can do basic things like
authenticate a user and encrypt your data on the internet, but not on the
radio.
.... but that's just my opinion. The HAM community needs to appeal to a
younger populace to stay alive, which it isn't really doing by not taking
innovations in computer technology into account.
-Mindraker

From: amzoti on
On May 2, 3:11 pm, "Mindraker" <a...(a)anon.com> wrote:
> Why is encryption forbidden on HAM/amateur radio according to FCC
> regulations? This makes no sense at all to me. If the FCC is truly
> interested in increasing the appeal of HAM radio to the current generation,
> it should stop fretting about whether or not people have to learn morse
> code, and start worrying about things like why you can do basic things like
> authenticate a user and encrypt your data on the internet, but not on the
> radio.
> ... but that's just my opinion. The HAM community needs to appeal to a
> younger populace to stay alive, which it isn't really doing by not taking
> innovations in computer technology into account.
> -Mindraker

I wonder if has to do with things like export control rules and it
makes life too hard for FCC and other agencies that track such things?

There are probably other related reasons too (similar to above - like
the bad guys getting high strength hand radios) - but this is all
guess work on my part.

From: Joseph Ashwood on
"Mindraker" <anon(a)anon.com> wrote in message
> Why is encryption forbidden on HAM/amateur radio according to FCC
> regulations? This makes no sense at all to me. If the FCC is truly
> interested in increasing the appeal of HAM radio to the current
> generation, it should stop fretting about whether or not people have to
> learn morse code, and start worrying about things like why you can do
> basic things like authenticate a user and encrypt your data on the
> internet, but not on the radio.
> ... but that's just my opinion. The HAM community needs to appeal to a
> younger populace to stay alive, which it isn't really doing by not taking
> innovations in computer technology into account.

The historical reason given has always been because HAM is supposed to be
about open conversation, encryption is rather by definition closed in some
manner.

Also the current young generation seems to have quite the firm grasp of
privacy implications. Admittedly, there are those that open their life
completely and get articles written when they die, but in general they tend
to be quite reasonable in their choices. The problem with HAM is that it
doesn't fit their model of communication, there are faster models, broader
models, and they don't require passing any tests. HAM never really was
something everyone was into, it has always had a relatively high threshhold
for entry, it's just that now there are other methods that have lower
threshholds and are visually more appealing.
Joe

From: P.Gregory on
i think i saw somewhere as long as it can be freely UNcrypted its ok ,
but i could not be bovvered looking it up , sstv fer instance.....

From: brad on
"Mindraker" <anon(a)anon.com> wrote in message
> Why is encryption forbidden on HAM/amateur radio according to FCC
> regulations? This makes no sense at all to me. If the FCC is truly
> interested in increasing the appeal of HAM radio to the current
> generation,

Can you imagine the damage that would be done if the local astronomy net on
2 meters went encrypted?