From: Robert Riches on
In converting from twm to fvwm2, the last thing I haven't solved
is an equivalent function for f.circleup (CirculateUp in fvwm
terminology). Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone have a
pointer to a usable function for this purpose?

I don't need to handle icons, just plain windows, and all the
windows are in layer 4. I just need something to reverse
lowering of the highest window.

Thanks,

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42(a)verizon.net
From: despen on
Robert Riches <spamtrap42(a)verizon.net> writes:

> In converting from twm to fvwm2, the last thing I haven't solved
> is an equivalent function for f.circleup (CirculateUp in fvwm
> terminology). Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone have a
> pointer to a usable function for this purpose?
>
> I don't need to handle icons, just plain windows, and all the
> windows are in layer 4. I just need something to reverse
> lowering of the highest window.

I think you are looking for Next/Prev.
Look in the FAQ questions 3.3 and 3.4 which touch on this.
From: Robert Riches on
On 2010-01-07, despen(a)verizon.net <despen(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> Robert Riches <spamtrap42(a)verizon.net> writes:
>
>> In converting from twm to fvwm2, the last thing I haven't solved
>> is an equivalent function for f.circleup (CirculateUp in fvwm
>> terminology). Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone have a
>> pointer to a usable function for this purpose?
>>
>> I don't need to handle icons, just plain windows, and all the
>> windows are in layer 4. I just need something to reverse
>> lowering of the highest window.
>
> I think you are looking for Next/Prev.
> Look in the FAQ questions 3.3 and 3.4 which touch on this.

Thanks for the tips. The Next/Prev commands look like they're
close to what I want. However, it looks like they operate only
on time order of focus. What I want is window stacking order,
independent of which windows have had recent focus. Perhaps,
I'll have to write a short C program to scan the window tree to
find the one on the bottom of the stack.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42(a)verizon.net
From: despen on
Robert Riches <spamtrap42(a)verizon.net> writes:

> On 2010-01-07, despen(a)verizon.net <despen(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>> Robert Riches <spamtrap42(a)verizon.net> writes:
>>
>>> In converting from twm to fvwm2, the last thing I haven't solved
>>> is an equivalent function for f.circleup (CirculateUp in fvwm
>>> terminology). Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone have a
>>> pointer to a usable function for this purpose?
>>>
>>> I don't need to handle icons, just plain windows, and all the
>>> windows are in layer 4. I just need something to reverse
>>> lowering of the highest window.
>>
>> I think you are looking for Next/Prev.
>> Look in the FAQ questions 3.3 and 3.4 which touch on this.
>
> Thanks for the tips. The Next/Prev commands look like they're
> close to what I want. However, it looks like they operate only
> on time order of focus. What I want is window stacking order,
> independent of which windows have had recent focus. Perhaps,
> I'll have to write a short C program to scan the window tree to
> find the one on the bottom of the stack.

I see "ALL" has a "UseStack" option but I don't see the same for
Next/Prev.

Not that I know everything Fvwm can do. I think I used to but
there are so many options and commands now...