From: Mark Hobley on
I need some information from an info page. Is there an online resource for
this? I don't really want to install the info system at this time.

The resource I require is available via:

info Autoconf --index CONFIG_SHELL

Is there a web URL that would give me the same content?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: John Hasler on
Mark Hobley writes:
> Is there a web URL that would give me the same content [as the
> Autoconf info doc]?

Yes. You would already know what it is had you googled "autoconf".
Hint: it's the first hit.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Mark Hobley on
John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
> Yes. You would already know what it is had you googled "autoconf".
> Hint: it's the first hit.

Ok. I have typed that into google, and the first hit that I get here is
www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/

I now visit that page with a browser. Which link is equivalent to the info
documents?

I am looking for the CONFIG_SHELL documentation. I could not see anything
immediately in the Autoconf manual.

What I did now was google as follows:

CONFIG_SHELL site:www.gnu.org

From this. Apart from some forum comments, which I could not put into context
of the problem that I am trying to solve, I found a section in the autoconf
manual, obscurely named as follows:

17 config.status Invocation

On this page, I locate a section:

Variable: CONFIG_SHELL

The shell with which to run configure for the --recheck option.
It must be Bourne-compatible. The default is a shell that supports LINENO if
available, and /bin/sh otherwise. Invoking configure by hand bypasses this
setting, so you may need to use a command like \u2018CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
/bin/bash ./configure\u2019 to insure that the same shell is used everywhere.
The absolute name of the shell should be passed.

Does that correspond to the documentation that the info page would have
provided, or am I looking in the wrong place?

That information seems out of context for the issue that I am trying to
solve, (which is posted elsewhere).

Mark.

From: John Hasler on
markhobley writes:
> I now visit that page with a browser. Which link is equivalent to the
> info documents?

The autoconf manual just might be at
<www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html>.

> Does that correspond to the documentation that the info page would
> have provided, or am I looking in the wrong place?

The info and html versions of the manual are generated from the same
source.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: John Hasler on
BTW on Debian the autoconf-doc package contains html, pdf, and ps
versions of the manual.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com