From: Yousuf on
I have tried every thin in th thread for the error 0x80070020 andnothing worked.I use AVG antivirus and Spybot.....disabled both but nothing worked.
Does any one know what the real problem is.

Georg wrote:

Sad to say .. but there is apparently another set of causes for this issue.
04-Aug-07

Sad to say .. but there is apparently another set of causes for this issue. I
just tried everything described in this thread and ..I am sorry to report I
am still getting the failed message. The search continues.

"Jimmy" wrote:

On Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:33 AM
Pet wrote:

error code 0x80070020
What does error code 0x80070020 mean? Can't find any description or support!!

Pete

On Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:13 AM
Enge wrote:

Hello Pete,0x80070020 -2147024864 ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION BITS failed to
Hello Pete,

0x80070020
-2147024864
ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION BITS failed to create/write to a file.

You receive a "0x80070020 The process cannot access the file because it is
being used by another process" error message when you try to download an
update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;883825

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=8ee278a1-2696-4b7d-800d-00e9e4b73d35&mid=8ee278a1-2696-4b7d-800d-00e9e4b73d35

Good luck
--

"Pete" wrote:

On Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:49 AM
Pet wrote:

Hi Engel,I succeeded in switching off anti-virus scanners while updating.
Hi Engel,

I succeeded in switching off anti-virus scanners while updating. Thanx!!

Pete

"Engel" wrote:

On Sunday, June 24, 2007 11:12 AM
Enge wrote:

RE: error code 0x80070020
Thanks for the feedback, Pete.... Good to hear it helped you.

"Pete" wrote:

On Sunday, June 24, 2007 12:48 PM
VBBo wrote:

I had this error code on two WinXPsp2 machines when trying to update the
I had this error code on two WinXPsp2 machines when trying to update the
machines to access Windows update website over the past 4 days. All attempts
failed until I ended SpyBot S&D's "teatimer" process in task manager.

Teatimer identifies and holds registry changes to allow the user to accept
or reject the changes. After I ended the teatimer process, I was able to
update windows update, access the site, and continue as I had before.

Some postings indicated AVG may be the problem with updating. I run AVG free
and AVG Antispyware. I ended one AVG process in task manager, tried updating
from the windowsupdate site, and continued (ending one process at a time). I
was finally able to get windows to update after I ended teatimer.

I was frustrated, maybe this will help others.

"Engel" wrote:

On Sunday, June 24, 2007 5:51 PM
Enge wrote:

Hi VBBob,Thanks for letting us know your outcome!
Hi VBBob,

Thanks for letting us know your outcome! Be??r in mind there is no "single"
solution that fits everybody's pr??blems. ;-)

That is why rating a post you help others find the answer more quickly, and
you help increase the quality of answers in the discussion gr??up. Most of the
OP's miss the right side of the screen ???Was this post helpful tu you?

Take care
--

"VBBob" wrote:

On Monday, June 25, 2007 6:53 AM
hike wrote:

Hi there,I just wanted to let you know, that I tried to kill the teatimer.
Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know, that I tried to kill the teatimer.exe via
task manager. This was THE ONE step that had success, because EVERY step
described before (and Microsoft's support site regarding this error code)
were unsuccessful.

Thank you for your concern and letting us know this teatimer problem.

Regards,

hiker

"Engel" wrote:

On Monday, June 25, 2007 7:11 AM
Pet wrote:

YESSSSSSS !!!! teatimer!! That's it!!
YESSSSSSS !!!! teatimer!! That's it!! :-)))
I am happy again :-) Pete

"VBBob" wrote:

On Monday, June 25, 2007 2:09 PM
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

Is this the 1.4.0.3 version of Spybot or the Beta version ?
Is this the 1.4.0.3 version of Spybot or the Beta version ?
I can inform SaferNetworking of this issue but need the Version number.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

VBBob wrote:

On Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:20 AM
DebtMa wrote:

I got this message, researched a bit and came up with AVG issues, MAPI issues
I got this message, researched a bit and came up with AVG issues, MAPI issues
and that the code meant something else referring - I think - to a file
already being in use. None of which solved the problem.

Finally, I tried searching these posts until I came to TeaTimer as
potentially causing the problem. I ended the process and voila, it worked.

Many, many thanks for this as an assist. As an aside, I also turned off all
my AVG processes before running Express updates. Then ran again for Custom,
leaving AVG processes intact and just turning off TeaTimer - again, success!!

"VBBob" wrote:

On Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:36 AM
DebtMa wrote:

Missed this off my other post, so apologies for that.
Missed this off my other post, so apologies for that.

My version (via Help --> About) is showing 1.4 and is updated about once a
week.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

On Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:35 AM
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

MUCH thanks for posting this info, DebtMan.
MUCH thanks for posting this info, DebtMan.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

DebtMan wrote:

On Sunday, July 01, 2007 3:46 PM
VBBo wrote:

The "Help" file indicates 1.4. To my knowledge it is not beta.
The "Help" file indicates 1.4. To my knowledge it is not beta. Sorry for the
delyed response - been taveling on business.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

On Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:00 AM
P727 wrote:

RE: error code 0x80070020
Yes!!! Teatimer was the problem. Thanks alot VB ;-))

"VBBob" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:46 AM
Jimm wrote:

Here's an easy simple way to disable Spybot Search & Destroy so you will be
Here's an easy simple way to disable Spybot Search & Destroy so you
will be able to downonload Windows updates if you get this message.....

"Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
page".

Error 0x80070020

How? Right click the spybot icon (on the start bar near the clock) and
choose "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident".

As simple as that.

You can go back and enable it after you update.

"Pete" wrote:

On Saturday, August 04, 2007 1:36 PM
Georg wrote:

Sad to say .. but there is apparently another set of causes for this issue.
Sad to say .. but there is apparently another set of causes for this issue. I
just tried everything described in this thread and ..I am sorry to report I
am still getting the failed message. The search continues.

C# : Everything about DateTime
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9ed40899-a3e9-47cb-a383-34e0e7fdd57e/c--everything-about-dat.aspx
From: G. R. Woodring on
The post you are replying to is two and a half years old. None of the specific
references to programs or versions will be valid. Also there is only a thin
chance that your problem would be exactly the same as someone else's, especially
that long ago.

Start a new thread. State your OS version and service pack level. You can also
expect to be asked for more information such as the exact error message and what
your are trying to update.

A good starting point would be this Knowledge Base article:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825>

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 1/2/2010 12:13 PM, Author: Yousuf Qaseem Wrote:
> I have tried every thin in th thread for the error 0x80070020 andnothing worked.I use AVG antivirus and Spybot.....disabled both but nothing worked.
> Does any one know what the real problem is.

< Snipped ancient references >
From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped by whatever forum "Yousuf Qaseem" was using>

Yousuf Qaseem wrote:
> I have tried every thin in th thread for the error 0x80070020
> andnothing worked.I use AVG antivirus and Spybot.....disabled both
> but nothing worked. Does any one know what the real problem is.

<sigh>

No information from you.

You could have Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional,
Windows XP Professional x64, Windows Vista Home Premium,
Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7
Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate x64... And so on, etc. You might
have no service packs installed, SP1, SP1a, Sp2 or SP3 on some of
those. You might have Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7 or
Internet Explorer 8. Give information when you request assistance
- on *your* specific issues. You may know your issue is similar to
someone elses - but just *how* similar is unknown to everyone
but you.

Combine that with badly quoting a 2+ year old conversation...
Twice - and changing the subject line *both times*.

If you go to this link:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/52b00bdb956daa39/
You will see the original June/July-ish 2007 conversation.

Maybe you just don't know how to get that information? Fair enough.

You can obtain and supply the edition and version information:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Since I do not yet have this information from you, I can only suggest
some basic stuff and some stuff with caveats that you will have to
determine (based off the information you collect and share using the
above methods) which you need/should/could do.

Basic stuff:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

You also should run a full CHKDSK and defragmentation. How you do
this will depend on your OS.

Windows XP CHKDSK:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Windows Vista CHKDSK:
http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-vista-chkdsk.html

Windows XP Defragmentation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

Windows Vista Defragmentation:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Improve-performance-by-defragmenting-your-hard-disk

Continue by fixing your Windows Update system...

32-bit Operating System:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

64-bit Windows Vista:

Download, install and run...

System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Come back and let us know.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You receive error 0x80070020 when you use the Windows Update Web site or the
Microsoft Update Web site to install updates: