From: ChexMix on
My Computer (Running Windows Vista) It came with a manual...IVe Read this
manual and I found Something Intresting you Might want to know. There is a
Copy of your operating System hidden away on your hard drive. Here Are the
Steps to Enable this secrect Hard Drive section to reinstale Windows Vista
Without a CD:
1. Turn on or Restart Your Computer, Then Press F8 on your keyboard
repeatedly while your Computer is starting. When the Advance Boot Options
screen appears, click Repair Your Computer, then Click Next

2. Pick your country and Keyboard layout

3. Log on then Click Next

4. On the Sytem Recovery Options screen, click Recovery manager (The last
option). The System Recovery Wizard opens.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions

6. (Very Important) Click One of the System Recovery Options when prompted:

*Option 1: Recovery with automatic Data Back-up (This is recommened)- This
Moves the Contents of the Hard Drive to the C:\My Backup Folder and Installs
a new copy of Windows. This Option saves existing Data files, but all
programs must be reinstalled and the program settings reconfigured. you need
at LEAST 4GB of Hard Drive space to do this

*Option 2: Full Factory recovery- Reformats and restores the system softwere
as it was when you pirchased your Computer. This Process Deletes your data
files, so they must be saved on an external disk prior to reformatting

7. Click Next, then Click yes. Recovery Starts.

8. When Recovery is complete, click Finish. Your Computer will restart and
Windows will finish its Setup and Installation.

Notes: Your Computer will have all he files from when it was shipped from
the factory. You will need to download Windows Updates and Anti-Virus updates
to bring your computer up to date.

This is from a manual of an E machine, this may work on other computers..it
is not known.

From: Michael on
"ChexMix" <ChexMix(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Computer (Running Windows Vista) It came with a manual...IVe Read this
> manual and I found Something Intresting you Might want to know. There is a
> Copy of your operating System hidden away on your hard drive. Here Are the
> Steps to Enable this secrect Hard Drive section to reinstale Windows Vista
> Without a CD:

<snip a really OLD tune>

Welcome to the 20th century. You're about 10 years behind.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: MrCarBuyer on
Dont mess with any of the advice so far!!!!!

I had the same issue, the istructions looked to complicated so I tried
something different and it worked.

Time to fix: 2mins

Just go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F82EA184-945F-4B78-9463-10AC20A75020&displaylang=en

Save the file to your desktop and run it from there.

If you want to verify windows update is working, then try to install an
optional update from the the windows update control panel (if like me there
were no other important updates that needed installing)

I hope this helps others, I know this is an older thread but it came up
first in my google search, so I thought I would post a reply anyways.

TAH-DAH!

From: jackson on

From: ChexMix on
Im afraid we are Curently in the 21st century, you are the one behind if you
dont know this