From: Spacy Mike on
I have been having trouble with several computers at work with various
versions of .net updates. I spent all day on one user's pc. I had to use
software from a link on Microsoft's site to force some of the version of .net
to uninstall. Then I had to reinstall each .net version, one at a time, and
then install numersous .net updates. This took several reboots.

I think Microsoft should provide a partial refund of the purchase price
since they sold us a defective product, or a good product that they made
defective. If I took my vehicle into the shop, and they accidentally break my
windshield while changing oil, they are liable for windshield repairs.

I can imagine how frustrating, or impossible, for most people to have to
deal with this. I would assume that there are millions of computers out in
the world that will never ever get updated because of this fatal flaw. Some
of the other important updates won't install until this flawed uninstallable
update is successfully installed.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Spacy Mike wrote:
> I have been having trouble with several computers at work with
> various versions of .net updates. I spent all day on one user's pc.
> I had to use software from a link on Microsoft's site to force some
> of the version of .net to uninstall. Then I had to reinstall each
> .net version, one at a time, and then install numersous .net
> updates. This took several reboots.
>
> I think Microsoft should provide a partial refund of the purchase
> price since they sold us a defective product, or a good product
> that they made defective. If I took my vehicle into the shop, and
> they accidentally break my windshield while changing oil, they are
> liable for windshield repairs.
>
> I can imagine how frustrating, or impossible, for most people to
> have to deal with this. I would assume that there are millions of
> computers out in the world that will never ever get updated because
> of this fatal flaw. Some of the other important updates won't
> install until this flawed uninstallable update is successfully
> installed.

Not everyone has the .NET Framework issue. I don't have it nor have any of
the machines I manage had it. Something changed some things on the
computers in question and if it was something from Microsoft that everyone
would get then why isn't everyone in the same boat?

I have had to help people fix this - but in the end - it isn't an 'across
the board' issue. I even freshly installed a computer the other day
(starting with Windows XP Home Edition with SP3) and patched it using the
windowsupdate web page with over 125 post-SP3 patches in large batches just
to see if I could recreate the issues people have with doing the updates
(not just these, mind you - others as well.) It patched with everything no
problem and is running strong.

So - while I feel your pain - it is your pain. Something changed on the
machine in question (agreed) - but I think you are throwing the bame around
just to feel better about doing what is obviously part of your job (IT
support). Microsoft did not force .NET Framework 2.x/3.x/4.x on you/your
computers nor did they decide what else was to be installed on the computers
or in what order or who used it or the other configuration settings, etc.

Your example assumes the employees of the 'the shop' broke your window while
changing your oil in the standard manner and no vehicle changes were made
they were unaware of and no third party entity was involved. If some third
party came by and shot up the shop for whatever reason - the shop is not
liable for your broken window. If a freak storm blew limbs around while
your car was there and a linb crashed into your window - not the shops
fault. If you modified your car with some third party parts and did not
notify the shop of the changes (or just did not think it should matter) and
the new pressure of the type of oil you chose made some part shoot off and
the part landed miraculously on your windshield and broke it - not the shops
responsibility. Your example isn't bad - but it is incomplete. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP